• Administrator
“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” —Vince Lombardi

Animals CritiqueBald Eagle

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Bald Eagle

Post by Bobby Deal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 am

WingShooter wrote:Thanks for the input and tend to agree with you on the background. I need to spend a about a month just taking images of the Tetons and the wildlife.

St3v3M wrote:There are several 'problems' with this image. It feels like sacrilege to even say that, but I may be able to explain.

The main is the background, and it comes down to the apparent depth of field. It's so flat it's almost like it's not there, or was done on a studio background and is flat, flat, flat. It's not a bad thing and I like the painterly quality it presents, but like most images we want the background story to compliment the main character where in this case it 'should' be leaves or something like it. The other 'problem' is the color, which there's nothing you can do about. The 'problem' isn't so much the color though as much as the lack of contrasting colors we've come to expect. So is there anything really wrong with this image, no, other than our expectations.

I love this image, but I will say the depth of field is so strong it appears the eagle is a cutout. It so sharp, and the background so soft, it feels rather harsh.

I love this image and would be proud to hang it on my wall. Wow! I keep looking at it in a square crop, and love it so! S-

This is what you get when shooting with quality fast long focal length glass. The bokeh on this image is stunning and the shape of the background is apparent, I would have guessed it was fall foliage rather than pre bud willows but all in all I think the image is very strong. The bokeh tells me the image is done outside in natural light and that the background is quite likely a significant distance behind the subject which is nicely isolated in the frame with no distracting elements other than the strong background color. To help with that I would simply desaturate the yellows a bit and I would crop in a little tighter until I found a more harmonious balance between subject and background. Technically though I can not fault the background and know more than a few publications that would not hesitate to publish an image of this caliber.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:29 am

Bobby Deal wrote:... I can not fault the background and know more than a few publications that would not hesitate to publish an image of this caliber.

Welcome Home Bobby, it's great to have you with us, and I love your quote "The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be." S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"