"Comparing yourself to others' success only slows you down from finding your own." —Octavia Spencer

Animals CritiqueMaking A Turn

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Making A Turn

Post by minniev » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:36 pm

An egret making a sharp turn right towards me.

All suggestions, critique & edits appreciated. I'm especially interested in whether you think I should get rid of the egret in the background...
Attachments
turn (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Just a thought......
turn %281 of 1%29_psjunkie.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:17 am

Oh GOSH is that an incredible shot! Wotta shot! I like what Frank did except that I feel his crop is too tight, necessitated of course by the other bird being where it is. My approach would be to clone out the background bird and still crop a little, but not quite that much. The other bird is a distraction, I think, and there seems no compelling reason to leave it. :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:02 pm

minniev wrote:An egret making a sharp turn right towards me.

All suggestions, critique & edits appreciated. I'm especially interested in whether you think I should get rid of the egret in the background...

Superb focus and exposure. Impact "Over the atop!"

I like Frank's crop ...eliminates the distraction of the BG bird and makes it all about the bird's precise control of flight above the roiling chaos of the water...puts me in mind of some images of airplane aerobatics jusy above really dramatic clouds.

IMO this is an absolutely smashing image!...y'can't just walk by.....a definite stroll-stopper!

Dave

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:42 pm

I agree with what's been said. Some really great critiquing on this image. I will second giving that seting tip a little more breathing room (but not too much). The image definitely works better brighter and having the texture pop.

Well done everybody.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Just a thought...... turn %281 of 1%29_psjunkie.jpg

Thank ya Frank. Is that your special High Pass treatment, or something else? I really like what it did with the water.

And I'm taking it you vote to get rid of the bird in the back. I was of mixed minds but believe you're right.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Oh GOSH is that an incredible shot! Wotta shot! I like what Frank did except that I feel his crop is too tight, necessitated of course by the other bird being where it is. My approach would be to clone out the background bird and still crop a little, but not quite that much. The other bird is a distraction, I think, and there seems no compelling reason to leave it. :thumbup:

Gee, thank ya Chuck. I liked Frank's edit, too. I think the fuzzy bird will be easy to clone out.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:18 pm

uuglypher wrote:
minniev wrote:An egret making a sharp turn right towards me.

Superb focus and exposure. Impact "Over the atop!"

I like Frank's crop ...eliminates the distraction of the BG bird and makes it all about the bird's precise control of flight above the roiling chaos of the water...puts me in mind of some images of airplane aerobatics jusy above really dramatic clouds.

IMO this is an absolutely smashing image!...y'can't just walk by.....a definite stroll-stopper!

Dave

Thank you Dave. The egret had just gone in for a dive, and was wheeling back to his perch.

The Audubon guys here tell me that my birds are not supposed to dive. Yet these do. The egrets are more willing than the herons to dive in, the herons will wait a long while watching before they decide, and will usually go straight in beak first. The egrets are readier to go underwater, even when it's pretty turbulent, but they usually use an odd looking helicopter maneuver, where they hover, and lower themselves into the water feet first until they're submerged. Aubudon friend thought that very strange.

minniev
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Duck wrote:I agree with what's been said. Some really great critiquing on this image. I will second giving that seting tip a little more breathing room (but not too much). The image definitely works better brighter and having the texture pop.

Well done everybody.

Thanks Duck. The problem of the fuzzy background egret was something I really wanted opinions on, but Frank's treatment of the water texture adds a lot, and I can see my softer approach didn't give it the zip it could have. It helps to hear from others!

The fuzzy egret is easy to clone out, so I'll then have more leeway on the crop.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 pm

minniev wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:Just a thought...... turn %281 of 1%29_psjunkie.jpg

Thank ya Frank. Is that your special High Pass treatment, or something else? I really like what it did with the water.

And I'm taking it you vote to get rid of the bird in the back. I was of mixed minds but believe you're right.
minniev I don't mean to mislead here....all I did was crop, it make the water look closer...maybe something happened with down and upload....