"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Animals CritiqueBald Eagle Family

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The twins should be flying within the next week or so.

Had the usual issues with harsh light and shadows, and distance (this is heavily cropped), and this morning the wind was buffeting me too. Instead of attempting to work the 2x digital zoom jpg, I went straight to the dng (Olympus EM10 Mark ii with Oly 75-300 mm lens). Please let me know if there's anything you'd do differently for pp. Thank you!

btw, the reason I use a dng file is my version of PS Elements doesn't work with the raw file of either of my new mirrorless cameras. As it's PSE 13, I'm a bit annoyed, but I downloaded a free Adobe dng converter that works great.


I think what I like most about this image, is you are on the same level as the eagles. You are either on the edge of a cliff, or in a tree yourself. Most shots such as this have a upward point of view, which makes this one unique. Excellent Linda !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:18 pm

davechinn wrote: I think what I like most about this image, is you are on the same level as the eagles. You are either on the edge of a cliff, or in a tree yourself. Most shots such as this have a upward point of view, which makes this one unique. Excellent Linda !!!
Dave


Thank you so much, Dave! This is in the Yakima River Canyon (a designated "scenic byway") and I'm standing at roadside with the river between me and the nest. It's a super location from which to shoot, if a bit of a long reach for any camera I've owned. Here is a wide angle view from last spring with my bridge camera; the nest tree is on the right. The river is further below the road than it might seem from this pic.
Attachments
1461414101969-1_img_6718.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1292
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
davechinn wrote: I think what I like most about this image, is you are on the same level as the eagles. You are either on the edge of a cliff, or in a tree yourself. Most shots such as this have a upward point of view, which makes this one unique. Excellent Linda !!!
Dave


Thank you so much, Dave! This is in the Yakima River Canyon (a designated "scenic byway") and I'm standing at roadside with the river between me and the nest. It's a super location from which to shoot, if a bit of a long reach for any camera I've owned. Here is a wide angle view from last spring with my bridge camera; the nest tree is on the right. The river is further below the road than it might seem from this pic.


Thanks for the info Linda, but I also have to comment on your additional photo. Remarkably stunning landscape with lots to view. The train adds so much to this scene for a backdrop for all the existing elements, such as the lake, mountains, etc. Simply beautiful.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:35 pm

I've always enjoyed this image Linda..well done.

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:30 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thanks for the info Linda, but I also have to comment on your additional photo. Remarkably stunning landscape with lots to view. The train adds so much to this scene for a backdrop for all the existing elements, such as the lake, mountains, etc. Simply beautiful.
Dave


Thank you so much, Dave! There are 20+ miles of critters, birds, river and landscapes to photograph.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Psjunkie wrote:I've always enjoyed this image Linda..well done.


If you mean the bald eagles in the opening of the topic, this is a brand-new family, though they do kind of all look alike, LOL. If you mean the scenic I posted later to show the setting, I thank you very much. Either way, I appreciate your visit and interest!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1391
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:38 pm

The new eagles also..but mainly the vantage point.

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:32 am

Psjunkie wrote:The new eagles also..but mainly the vantage point.

Oh, yes it's very fortuitous the birds built there! Thanks again :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4053
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:13 am

LindaShorey wrote:... I thought about taking more off the top, but since I'd already cropped so much, I hesitated. I should go ahead and throw caution to the wind and see just how far I can take it. ...

I know it sounds odd, but I like the original version best! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:10 pm

St3v3M wrote:I know it sounds odd, but I like the original version best! S-


Not odd at all! Everyone knows quite well what bald eagles look like and have seen plenty of close-ups. You enjoyed the environmental shot for the gnarly tree and the dead-grass hillside behind (that is uniform in colors and textures, therefore not competing with the subject). Am I right? :) Thank you Steve!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest