Animals CritiqueTake off 1

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Take off 1

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 03, 2017 1:13 pm

This Double-crested Cormorant shows the power of those wings.

There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Very nice capture of the action!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed May 03, 2017 9:20 pm

A great lift off and one of my favorite birds. Their faces are so unusual and expressive. There is a perception of the image being a little soft, but I'm not entirely sure, maybe it's blur from the water spray inference, because it seems more pronounced some places than others, even in the same plane.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 03, 2017 10:46 pm

minniev wrote:A great lift off and one of my favorite birds. Their faces are so unusual and expressive. There is a perception of the image being a little soft, but I'm not entirely sure, maybe it's blur from the water spray inference, because it seems more pronounced some places than others, even in the same plane.

Here's the exif

Canon EOS 7D Mark II
150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
ƒ/7.1
600.0 mm (900mm equiv for the crop frame)
1/1600

THE DoF is very shallow @f7.1 at that focal length. But was caught between the bear trap and the cliff on this one because the light was not great and so I could not close down for more DoF, and if I lowered shutter speed then the water drops and wings would start blurring....I had watched a couple of these birds taking off and landing in the area and so knew the water splash was going to be there and wanted to get it. As they say it's all a compromise. ;)

The softness in this case is probably/maybe/actually more caused in post that the shoot. Removing the noise @3200 ISO generally produces softness, and more specifically the kind you refer to....scattered, non specific. Reason for that is that noise resides in the dark areas and so noise reduction affects those regions and edges more than the light areas. Good catch minniev. That's one many people are not aware of.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed May 10, 2017 6:38 am

Didereaux wrote:This Double-crested Cormorant shows the power of those wings.

My first thought was that I can't even imagine how hard it must be to break free of the water's grip so the image definitely told the story and wow.

I thought the image may be a little soft, but how do you focus through all that spray unless you pre-focus and pray. Looking at it again though I might not like the image as much if it were in focus detracting from the spray that gives it that feeling of motion and power. The color is great and I like the light through the wing.

This must have been a hard catch and well shot with the light at hand. Thank you for sharing this and the technique behind it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"