"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals CritiquePerspective is all....caution follows

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Perspective is all....caution follows

Post by Didereaux » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Got these two guys a couple weeks back. THe BW one actually swam to us from the opposite bank of a small pond...put the wife in the car, and she don't spook easily! ;) I moved around to the side and kept a close eye on him, but he only put his head up on the shore and watched us. The shot was taken just befor ehe got to our side. The second one I was actually laying on the ground to get a good perspective on him. He was sunning out in the road. Wasn't to concerned as he was only 8-9' and obviously not on the prod. But all wildlife should always be appoached with eyes and ears open. Big gators 12' and longer I do not lay down in front of. Didn't do that even when I was young and didn't require 15minutes to get to my feet! :lol:

the road hog...
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:19 am

Very nice!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Ceropegia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 pm

I really like the way the black and white processing in the first image camouflages the alligator, keeps me looking at/for it. In the second, I like the DOF with the narrow focus on the eye. BTW, 15 minutes to get on your feet - I know that feeling well! :)

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Ceropegia wrote:I really like the way the black and white processing in the first image camouflages the alligator, keeps me looking at/for it. In the second, I like the DOF with the narrow focus on the eye. BTW, 15 minutes to get on your feet - I know that feeling well! :)

Thank you. Yep, I will be printing the BW and hanging that one. As for that getting up thing....let's just say that every day I am coming to dislike decrepitude more and more!. ...now where is that dam cane, and point me to wards the rocking chair. :lol:
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:55 pm

It may only take me a couple of minutes to get back up, but I think even that would be too slow for my liking around these fellers. :D
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:30 am

Like these guys. I enjoy taking photos of their kind near here, and I'm finding mostly 9-10 footers right now in the swamp I hike in. Never had one approach me though. Love the color shot with the tight focus on that glittery golden eye! I've not found a lot of satisfaction in converting these fellows into monochrome. Your conversion is well done, but I don't think monochrome does them justice because their tonalities are so subdued and camouflage into the environment so well. Hope to see more of them!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:51 pm

minniev wrote:Like these guys. I enjoy taking photos of their kind near here, and I'm finding mostly 9-10 footers right now in the swamp I hike in. Never had one approach me though. Love the color shot with the tight focus on that glittery golden eye! I've not found a lot of satisfaction in converting these fellows into monochrome. Your conversion is well done, but I don't think monochrome does them justice because their tonalities are so subdued and camouflage into the environment so well. Hope to see more of them!

Older gators (large) have little or no color. They are pretty uniformly dark gray/green above, and lighter on the belly. In fact you can tell if a picure is of a younger gator(and smaller) if there is a lot of color variation i.e. like the one above that is in the road. The first one is a mature gator and doesn't have all those colors anymore.

Many times a color photo of a gator does not work simply because of the colors of the surrounding environment. Then a BW, which enhances textures, and stark lines brings the gator out of the 'woodwork'. I posted an example of this in the BW forum Gator sunning B&W

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:56 am

Love the perspective, love the processing, and love the shots. Thank you for sharing these and thank goodness you were safe! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"