Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Animals Critiqueegret in flight

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

egret in flight

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Was looking through last month's shots and found this one - the egret was at top right, so I extended the canvas, played with auto fill, and did a composite using a second image of the same bird (since lighting was similar). Not much processing wise, added texture and added some yellows to the bird keeping in a soothing (hopefully) analogous color scheme made of greens and yellows and orange by the beak. Contrast was heavily reduced and can say that I have had my best luck shooting white birds on rainy days.

egretFlightS.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:49 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm
Was looking through last month's shots and found this one - the egret was at top right, so I extended the canvas, played with auto fill, and did a composite using a second image of the same bird (since lighting was similar). Not much processing wise, added texture and added some yellows to the bird keeping in a soothing (hopefully) analogous color scheme made of greens and yellows and orange by the beak. Contrast was heavily reduced and can say that I have had my best luck shooting white birds on rainy days.

egretFlightS.jpg
Love this Piet, you have your own bird exhibit waiting "in the wings" :) . Contact the local galleries when ready!

I love these egrets, with their clownish little yellow feet. We only get them on occasion when they are passing through. And yes, it is far easier to capture white birds in subdued light of overcast days, or in the shade of the dam.

What a great idea to use two captures in one frame!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:43 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:49 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm

egretFlightS.jpg
Love this Piet, you have your own bird exhibit waiting "in the wings" :) . Contact the local galleries when ready!

I love these egrets, with their clownish little yellow feet. We only get them on occasion when they are passing through. And yes, it is far easier to capture white birds in subdued light of overcast days, or in the shade of the dam.

What a great idea to use two captures in one frame!
thanks Min

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:37 pm

It is in critique so you know me Piet....Love the lighting and color scheme, very well done..I agree with minniev about your bird collection..my only suggestion would be to work on that far wing some more, clone in something else or draw or whatever you feel comfortable with..as is it just seems cut off

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:37 pm
It is in critique so you know me Piet....Love the lighting and color scheme, very well done..I agree with minniev about your bird collection..my only suggestion would be to work on that far wing some more, clone in something else or draw or whatever you feel comfortable with..as is it just seems cut off
thanks, it was starting to blur (was going behind some trees). In my defense, it was worse, it was brighter and the eye went straight to it. You have made it clear to me that I quit too soon and was satisfied too fast. I will see what I can do without goofing it up.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:55 pm

thanks again Frank. It is now "better - but not right". Which is about as far as I know how to take it.

egretFlightS.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Yes, well done sir...

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Color tone and soft lighting are superb Piet !!! Very cool image, nice work.
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:21 pm

davechinn wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:45 pm
Color tone and soft lighting are superb Piet !!! Very cool image, nice work.
thanks Dave, it is a strange image in that I did not think it was good enough to work on for weeks. I kind of liked it, but it was in the reject pile due to the composition (bird was in upper right of frame). I'm glad I got brave and expanded the canvas which in turn gave me room to composite.