Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Animals Critiquenuthatch

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

nuthatch

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 am

one of my favorite birds for their spunkiness. I like this shot for the added complexity from the vines that things that are on the tree. I like that the bird has a brighter area behind it where the tree wraps away - but the OOF there is distracting to me, I wish I had a bigger depth of field when I shot it, but since I like nuthatches so much, I am sharing it anyway!
nuthatchS.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 am

I'm thinking a much tighter crop might eliminate the OOF distraction.....but then I'm not quite as attached to the vines as you so my next suggestion is move the Nuthatch to the lower left and crop out most of the OOF...just some thoughtless thoughts.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 am
I'm thinking a much tighter crop might eliminate the OOF distraction.....but then I'm not quite as attached to the vines as you so my next suggestion is move the Nuthatch to the lower left and crop out most of the OOF...just some thoughtless thoughts.
good points - yeah, was invested in the vines and in the nuthatch.. no man can have two masters or wives and be happy. Says that in the Bible.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:03 pm

in my end analysis I'm thinking move the nuthatch and maybe loose some vine for some kind of happy median

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:36 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 am
one of my favorite birds for their spunkiness. I like this shot for the added complexity from the vines that things that are on the tree. I like that the bird has a brighter area behind it where the tree wraps away - but the OOF there is distracting to me, I wish I had a bigger depth of field when I shot it, but since I like nuthatches so much, I am sharing it anyway! nuthatchS.jpg
He is lovely and you have captured that quizzical look we sometimes see in birds. I like the vines of course, and the gnarly branches. They are his setting, his context. But the OOF area is a distraction so I think you should try something to reduce its impact. You could blur it further with masking, or you could crop as much out as feasible, or you could move the bird elsewhere, or you could darken it, or some combination of those things. If you darken it you'd have to add a new light source onto the bird somehow but you are good at that so it should work.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:28 pm

yep, I agree with you guys, this image just isn't working that well, and a partial cause is OOF on the right. Taking the shot with smaller aperture would have helped.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:59 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 am
one of my favorite birds for their spunkiness. I like this shot for the added complexity from the vines that things that are on the tree. I like that the bird has a brighter area behind it where the tree wraps away - but the OOF there is distracting to me, I wish I had a bigger depth of field when I shot it, but since I like nuthatches so much, I am sharing it anyway! nuthatchS.jpg

I'm lovin' this vertical hang glider Piet. The OOF doesn't bother me one bit, adds a little depth IMO. Glad you decided to share anyway !!!
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:21 pm

thanks Dave, I thought it interesting how he held his head - keeping eyes level, while the rest of him was all wonky.