Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better." - Pat Riley

Animals CritiqueLast Tango On the Dam

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Last Tango On the Dam

Post by minniev » Fri May 24, 2019 2:59 pm

This is one that has lingered in the unedited slush pile for a while. I did a little light editing yesterday and posted it to a FB group I belong to for pix of egrets and herons. For some reason the crowd loved it more than most anything I've posted, so I thought I'd share it here to see what THIS crowd thinks, and how it can be improved, since perhaps it is a keeper.
Attachments
diffused (11 of 39).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 pm

It's a good image as is minniev, in my book not the best of your dam birds but a keeper for sure..consider cropping down and in from the left putting the birds around the upper 1/3 line, as for pp it's artist's choice.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 pm

I like the action displayed, but don't see anything here that I like more than your other shots. I like your misty forms of the dam as a backdrop.. I'd crop out about half the front water..

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue May 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Beyond the technical, this one has a lot of character. There is action, movement and a fun interplay between the two. The caption definitely helps place the viewer into your mindset for this image and is probably one of those times where a title actually can help. Looking back over your past exploration of this subject I can really see a refinement in your style. It's definitely maturing.

As for any technical aspect, the overall color palette is subdued but not to the point of being monochromatic. For me, it's riding the cusp of subtlety and blah and would like to see it as a more obvious decision on your part regarding the colors. Perhaps pumping up the warm tones just a touch might (I'm guessing here) help. And I mean just a touch, just enough to push the editing over that fine line between "eh" and "wow", if that makes sense.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue May 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 pm
It's a good image as is minniev, in my book not the best of your dam birds but a keeper for sure..consider cropping down and in from the left putting the birds around the upper 1/3 line, as for pp it's artist's choice.
Thanks Frank, I'll try. I was surprised at the response too, it wasn't one I had flagged for editing, but just ran across and posted for the heck of it.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue May 28, 2019 10:57 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 pm
I like the action displayed, but don't see anything here that I like more than your other shots. I like your misty forms of the dam as a backdrop.. I'd crop out about half the front water..
I'll try your and Frank's crop suggestions. I dunno either, why the heron and egret folks liked it so much. I think I've posted much better dam images but this one was picked up for sharing on commercial sites and the ones I thought were better were not. People...

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue May 28, 2019 11:01 pm

Duck wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:21 pm
Beyond the technical, this one has a lot of character. There is action, movement and a fun interplay between the two. The caption definitely helps place the viewer into your mindset for this image and is probably one of those times where a title actually can help. Looking back over your past exploration of this subject I can really see a refinement in your style. It's definitely maturing.

As for any technical aspect, the overall color palette is subdued but not to the point of being monochromatic. For me, it's riding the cusp of subtlety and blah and would like to see it as a more obvious decision on your part regarding the colors. Perhaps pumping up the warm tones just a touch might (I'm guessing here) help. And I mean just a touch, just enough to push the editing over that fine line between "eh" and "wow", if that makes sense.
Thanks. I've got extra mileage from warming up (with a bump in pink/orange) some of the dam images so I will try it on this one. Maybe the title, I dunno, for some reason it appealed to this fairly large group of folk who like wading birds, moreso than dam bird shots I thought were better.