Animals CritiqueCrane Alert

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Crane Alert

Post by RBorud » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 am

HiAll Here is the result of a trip to a suburb of Milwaukee. I did not expect to see so many SandHill cranes in an urban area. I find them wonderful. Thanks for looking. RBorud
Attachments
DSC_1585bcd.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 am

I think it's a gorgeous shot of these stately, dignified birds, very well finished and presented. My sole nitpick is the partial merger of the pair on the left foreground. I could wish for just a scoche more separation between them. It doesn't exactly look like a 2-headed bird but I wonder if you had another exposure where they weren't visually on top of one another? This is not to denigrate the picture at all! And birds, well... (?) :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Post by RBorud » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:22 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 am
I think it's a gorgeous shot of these stately, dignified birds, very well finished and presented. My sole nitpick is the partial merger of the pair on the left foreground. I could wish for just a scoche more separation between them. It doesn't exactly look like a 2-headed bird but I wonder if you had another exposure where they weren't visually on top of one another? This is not to denigrate the picture at all! And birds, well... (?) :D
Thanks Chuck for your thoughts and comments. Sorry about the birds refusal to take direction. RBorud

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

RBorud wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:22 pm
Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 am
Thanks Chuck for your thoughts and comments. Sorry about the birds refusal to take direction. RBorud
Beautiful sandhills. And you were lucky to find so many.

I have chased them every time I go to the coast where there's a sandhill refuge. I've never found one yet on the refuge, but this spring I did find two rooting around in anthills in someone's yard. Naturally they were uncooperative. I only got mementos, not photos. I may yet try to do something creative with the shots I took while trespassing.

Birds are notoriously uncooperative models. Long legged ones are the worst. There's so many things they can do with their legs and necks. I have sometimes cloned out bird-parts of my uncaring subjects. At least they don't require model releases. Not yet, anyway.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 pm

I don't really find anything to critique here RBorud....well captured and presented.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:27 pm

I came across these once in Florida in the rain and will say I didn't realize how big they are until I saw one up close.

I like this and I don't, I think it's the vignette that throws me. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"