Animals CritiqueAmerican Bison

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

American Bison

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:38 am

The Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Reserve has on of only a handful of genetically pure American Bison herds left in the Country. I go to the Arsenal for the trophy class Mule Deer and the Whitetail Deer but there are usually a few bison hanging around on any given trip.

As big and as interesting as they seem to be I find them very difficult to photograph. Often it feels like I am photographing cattle. Every once in a while though a shot will seem a little more interesting.
Attachments
RDP_9419.jpg

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:49 am

Bobby Deal wrote:The Rocky Mountain Arsenal Wildlife Reserve has on of only a handful of genetically pure American Bison herds left in the Country. I go to the Arsenal for the trophy class Mule Deer and the Whitetail Deer but there are usually a few bison hanging around on any given trip.

As big and as interesting as they seem to be I find them very difficult to photograph. Often it feels like I am photographing cattle. Every once in a while though a shot will seem a little more interesting.

Welcome and thanks for sharing an image of this majestic animal. He's sharply caught with good focus throughout, good detail in his fur (not always easy since that stuff can be kind of reflective in sunlight). My best images of buffalo have been with them facing early or late light rather than facing into the shadows, but PP could help if you wanted to reveal more of his darkened face. He looks like he could use a little more clearance at the top, where his hump is crowding the frame a bit. My eye has trouble reconciling the OOF foreground grasses with the deadly sharp grasses around his legs just adjacent; I'm assuming, though, that this is artistic choice and the way you prefer it to look.

He's a beauty, makes me want to visit out west again, we are a bit short on buffalo down south.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:00 am

Thanks minnieev, I am going to guess your monitor and mine do not have similar display values. On mine the texture and curl of his facial hair is clearly defined. About the crop,I was lucky to get him into to frame forshot using the 300 prime and was unable t back up further. I suppose I could clone some background in above him easily enough though..

About the grass there is probably 25- 40 feet of grass between the front edge of the blur to the sharp grass under his feet

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:47 am

That's a big boy! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:47 am

That's a big boy! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 am

Not big enough, it was breeding season and the bigger dominant bulls had pushed him out of the herd.

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES