"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Transportation CritiqueChooChoo 2

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: ChooChoo 2

Post by Didereaux » Wed May 10, 2017 1:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Didereaux wrote:... For those who are more familiar with train stuff know it just belongs.

You bring up an interesting point -
- Do we include things because 'they belong'?
- Or crop for the best effect and tell the best story?

In this case, then, do we include the signal because 'it belongs' or can we remove it if it tells a better story? S-

I don't believe there is a set rule here. Depends upon the end intentions. Some shots are done for interest, composition, subject, textures whatever, generally Fine Art prints belong in this category...they don't have to have a 'story', but of course some do and that brings added visual value to them, but still not required. Street shots, even most landscapes give more weight to the story and less to composition or technical excellence...but they too gain quality if the technical things are good. Said all that in a garbled cobbled together way, but best I can do at the moment. ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Wed May 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Didereaux wrote:I don't believe there is a set rule here. Depends upon the end intentions. Some shots are done for interest, composition, subject, textures whatever, generally Fine Art prints belong in this category...they don't have to have a 'story', but of course some do and that brings added visual value to them, but still not required. Street shots, even most landscapes give more weight to the story and less to composition or technical excellence...but they too gain quality if the technical things are good. Said all that in a garbled cobbled together way, but best I can do at the moment. ;)

Sometimes my gut says I should include this or that, but in the end I try to tell the best story I can. Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"