“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Transportation CritiqueChooChoo 1

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

ChooChoo 1

Post by Didereaux » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Old 28 TxStateRR Palestine to Rusk steamer.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:08 pm

A good shot and I'm sure you presented it as you wanted...I would have liked a touch more of the mid tones brought out, I'm still thinking about making it straight but your twist is growing on me...

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:23 pm

Psjunkie wrote:A good shot and I'm sure you presented it as you wanted...I would have liked a touch more of the mid tones brought out, I'm still thinking about making it straight but your twist is growing on me...

Same as for the Davison house this process gives the best results when printed on high Q papers.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:24 pm

Didereaux wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:A good shot and I'm sure you presented it as you wanted...I would have liked a touch more of the mid tones brought out, I'm still thinking about making it straight but your twist is growing on me...

Same as for the Davison house this process gives the best results when printed on high Q papers.
Got it, thanks.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon May 01, 2017 2:59 am

Nice clean shot of a fantastic old engine. I find that I like the tonalities even though they are a bit more on the dark end than I usually choose, because they convey a sort of texture to the image that wouldn't be possible with more differentiation. I'm OK with the upwards/sideways slew to the composition. Where my eye balks is the top of the frame where things get a bit crowded to the edge and the uppermost portion of the smokestack seems to want for more breathing space. Overall a nice image to discuss.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 01, 2017 3:43 am

It's always great to see a shot of an old steam engine, especially one that's running, and it works. There are a few things I might have done differently, like try to stand it up straight, and most would like to have given it more room in the front and on top, but other wise I like it. The processing is good, the feeling of motion and I love the atmosphere from the steam coming out the sides. I'm curious then, what would you change on it if you could? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 am

St3v3M wrote:It's always great to see a shot of an old steam engine, especially one that's running, and it works. There are a few things I might have done differently, like try to stand it up straight, and most would like to have given it more room in the front and on top, but other wise I like it. The processing is good, the feeling of motion and I love the atmosphere from the steam coming out the sides. I'm curious then, what would you change on it if you could? S-

Most definitely would have framed in more at the top and front. As for alignment I would not change that as it is really more perspective 'distortion' than camera tilt. They let you out on the tracks while they brought the engine up to couple upto the cars, but not much maneuvering room in there. I wanted to get a lower angle shot, but I am physically unable to get up and down without great difficulty and figured trying to do so in a working train yard might be a bit beyond foolish.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 am

Didereaux wrote:Most definitely would have framed in more at the top and front. As for alignment I would not change that as it is really more perspective 'distortion' than camera tilt. They let you out on the tracks while they brought the engine up to couple upto the cars, but not much maneuvering room in there. I wanted to get a lower angle shot, but I am physically unable to get up and down without great difficulty and figured trying to do so in a working train yard might be a bit beyond foolish.

I'm jealous of anyone who gets to spend time around an old working steam engine so pay no attention to me. I probably would have been so excited I would have kept the camera by my side and just stared.

The interesting thing about photography is that there are rules but the really fun thing is no one said you had to follow them. What an image could be and what an image are are often two very different things but the one you have beautiful and I'd be happy to hang it. Thank you again, S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Ceropegia » Mon May 01, 2017 12:32 pm

I do not know what is happening to my posts, but they seem to be getting lost on their way to the site after I hit the submit key. I am fairly certain I made some yesterday which have not appeared. So I will try again, here, to see if my post gets through. If the one I sent several minutes ago shows up, pardon the double comment. I am thinking that the problem may be with Quick Reply, since other posts made with Full Editor & Preview seem to have gotten through . My comment, as best I can remember it, is as follows:

I, too, would like to see more room at the top, but strangely, not having more, seems to me to give the impression of a lower perspective, which is what you had wanted to achieve.