"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Transportation CritiqueMy son and Wifes motorbikes

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

My son and Wifes motorbikes

Post by Onslow » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 am

My family have always enjoyed motorcycles. My son had come home for a break from the Air Force and we both wanted to get some pictures of his bike with his late mothers Ducati.

1)

2)

3)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Personally I am not big into motorcycles. My dad was killed on one when I was four so there's no real love there. I can appreciate them for their beauty, power and speed, you just won't see me owning one.

The one thing I noticed is in the second image with the two bikes side by side. Just as in portraiture, you have to watch the space in between. Distances are exaggerated when you crop in with a camera. If this were a couple they would have no intimacy. As it is, they are inanimate objects but, none the less, have no intimacy.

Otherwise I like the overall look considering the harshness of the shadows on the ground. Nicely done.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:35 am

Duck wrote:Personally I am not big into motorcycles. My dad was killed on one when I was four so there's no real love there. I can appreciate them for their beauty, power and speed, you just won't see me owning one.

The one thing I noticed is in the second image with the two bikes side by side. Just as in portraiture, you have to watch the space in between. Distances are exaggerated when you crop in with a camera. If this were a couple they would have no intimacy. As it is, they are inanimate objects but, none the less, have no intimacy.

Otherwise I like the overall look considering the harshness of the shadows on the ground. Nicely done.

Cheers Duck... :) Sorry to hear about your Father.. :(
Re the 2nd one, the distance as I recall was set by the background. It was the only reasonable background at the location. to get the angles I wanted of the bikes to the background required this distance. If I had brought them closer, the shadows from the Ducati would have crept onto the Kawasaki...