"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Transportation CritiqueImpromptu Camaro shot

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Impromptu Camaro shot

Post by Duck » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:05 am

I needed to get some reference photos for some upcoming articles/tutorials so I took advantage of a fairly nice day and some down time for me. I ended up in a neighboring town down by the local marina. In the parking lot I came across this nice, fairly new Camaro so I decided to do an impromptu photo shoot. It was me, a camera, a tripod and nothing else. Fortunately the car had some room around it for me to maneuver but other than that, not much else in terms of options. Editing is fairly straight forward and not much effort outside of an HDR processing in LR6.

So, is there potential? Would you consider doing more processing to "up the ante"? Can this pass as a presentable image for the car's owner? Or, should this be trashed and never allowed to see light again?

duck_6354-HDR.jpg
Camaro

Some notes to consider: My angle of view was limited due to other vehicles on the left side of the image (out of frame). I also realize I should have shot from a higher angle to avoid the fence line running along the vehicle's roof. Noticed it too late. It wasn't my vehicle so I couldn't do anything physically with it, including cleaning off dust specks. I also couldn't use a longer lens as my back was to a building.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:38 am

This has potential Duck, but there are a few issues that for me would lower the rating. Apart from your obs about the fence, just above it is a fairly distracting group of power lines. That to me is the biggest issue with this photo. If you could be bothered cloning etc, it would be a basis for a good image. I like that there is more room in front of the vehicle, I like the height you shot atbar the fence through the roofline. The wb seems good. I get the feeling it could turn into quite a moody image with some work.. But, for me those power poles (if I took it) would mean it would be discarded...

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 am

Good point about the lines. On the other side of the river is a play area with basketball courts and a parking lot. That's what prompted me with the lower angle in the first place. I'll clone out the distractions and see what comes of it.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:01 am

Duck wrote:Good point about the lines. On the other side of the river is a play area with basketball courts and a parking lot. That's what prompted me with the lower angle in the first place. I'll clone out the distractions and see what comes of it.

Look forward to seeing the outcome then .:)

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:21 pm

I like the car and the shot, but as you discussed, the background is way too distracting as is.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

cyclohexane
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by cyclohexane » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Aside from the background being somewhat distracting, and I actually don't find it horrible, I feel like the car is simply posed or staged incorrectly. With the car facing away from the camera, I feel like I expect a much more grand, sweeping vista or something beyond the car instead of the corner of a parking lot/area.

Unfortunately, it looks like you were handcuffed by the various limits in this impromptu shoot. :(
-Michael
Find me on the web: Michael Chen Photo |Blog ("coming soon" since before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth)|SportsShooter | California Wildlife

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:07 pm

cyclohexane wrote:Aside from the background being somewhat distracting, and I actually don't find it horrible, I feel like the car is simply posed or staged incorrectly. With the car facing away from the camera, I feel like I expect a much more grand, sweeping vista or something beyond the car instead of the corner of a parking lot/area.

Unfortunately, it looks like you were handcuffed by the various limits in this impromptu shoot. :(

I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but you nailed it. As soon as I read your comment I realized that was the issue. See, it pays to post in the critique section.

Now, maybe I can find a suitable background to replace the current one... or not. We'll see where my mood takes me.

Thanks for the comment, Michael.