― Transportation CritiqueCar Show

Bob's Photography
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Car Show

Post by Bob's Photography » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:00 pm

I love car shows, but I hate taking shots with people or other backgrounds distracting from the car I'm shooting. That's why I like close-ups. Back in 1969 I owned a 428 Mach 1 Mustang which was one of the hottest and fastest cars on the road, but was nothing compared to something track only with an engine like this.

hilborn injectors.jpg
hilborn injectors.jpg (372.91 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:12 am

Now thats a nice detail shot Bob.... :)

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ed Shapiro » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:31 pm

I love car shows too! Being an old geezer, I remember the cars of the late 40s and all through the 50s and 60s so antiques, classics, restoration jobs and hotrods of those eras are my favorites. I can still recall, before the days of road salt, acid rain and cars made of real metal when in the 1950s people were still driving cars made in the 1920s and 30s.

So…I haven’t had time to attend a car show of any kind lately and I unexpectedly came upon one at the most inopportune time- for shooting that is! I was on my way to an architectural shoot with virtually no time to spare. I had been scouting the buildings for days to determine lighting conditions at various times of day, accessibility, traffic etc.

I turned a corner and I thought I died and went to car heaven! I did not know that the local car club guys were joining in with a merchant’s association festival and bringing out their stuff. I had not spare time, the cars were parked bumper to bumper, and there were hundreds of people swarming all over the place with phone cameras. To add the “aesthetics”, there were ugly traffic cones, manhole covers and litter baskets. I could not help myself- so I stopped shots some quick record shots of the occasion and ran off to my assignment. No time for detail shots, good compositions, and better camera angles! I was frustrated- there were great paint jobs and a wooden station wagon to die for! Rats! I did, however, have a bit of time to ascertain some of the owner’s names and telephone numbers. The shots I was able to grab took me back to the days when I was walking to school in the morning and all of those (now classic) care were just parked there for me to admire.

I have started a project. I am going to create a series of images with theses cars at appropriate period locations, recruit some models in period costume including and even antique fire engine in one of my intended shoots! This is not totally my idea. I have seen a great calendar produced for a body and fender shop paint supplier with such a theme- I was impressed! Now I will finally get a chance to do my version of this theme. The First shoot is next month- with that wooden station wagon!

My on the street immages are in large files so I will post the separately .

Bob's Photography
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by Bob's Photography » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Ed, can't wait to see some of the shots. Shooting at some of these shows seems to end up with heavy post production if you want the whole car in the shot.

Bob

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ed Shapiro » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Cars on the street.
Attachments
Classic Car.jpg
Classic 2.jpg
Classic 3.jpg
Classic 4.jpg

Bob's Photography
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor

Post by Bob's Photography » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Here's one of mine, Ok it's a truck not a car, but, the background is sooo busy, the only way I'd use this shot is total silhouetting and a new background.

Bob

alco truck 10x7x72.jpg
alco truck 10x7x72.jpg (380.69 KiB) Viewed 1191 times

Ed Shapiro
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Ed Shapiro » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:39 pm

Bob! Yeah- sometimes I just like to grab a shot because the restoration work on the car or truck is so nice to see, especially wen there are brass outboard. horns and lights With my project, I am trying to get the owners to bring their vehicles to locations where I have full control over the background, foreground and the direction of the natural light as to time of day. Theses guys love their cars and trucks and seem to be willing to cooperate in order to have a perfect shot of their "babies"!

I love your truck image- it might be worth the post production work to isolate it on a good background!

Regards, Ed

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Love the ol' cars!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.