"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

― Transportation Critique'Naval Ships'

Vehicles of any type; cars, trucks, planes, trains, boat, spaceships, bikes and other conveyances
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: 'Naval Ships'

Postby davechinn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am

Duck wrote:
davechinn wrote:Here is an image of the JFK in the Philly Navy yard. The image is not mine, but I thought since you were on her, you would appreciate it. This image came from a Navy Facebook group that I belong to.
Dave

That's a great image. One of these years I should make a pilgrimage...

In the meantime, I did a little nostalgic reminiscing and found one of our old cruise books online. Here's a flashback to an earlier time period. I'm third in on the bottom row.

You should do it sooner than later Duck. I believe they may be in the process of scrapping her. Although, I do think the next carrier down the pike will be a new JFK. Not so much so for the America, they used her for target practice off the coast of the Carolinas to see how much abuse a carrier can take before the final fate. The next carrier was the USS Gerald R. Ford. They did name another ship USS America (LHA-6), the fourth U.S. warship to be named for the colloquial moniker of the United States of America, is the first of the America-class amphibious assault ships for the U.S. Navy.

Reminiscing is something I'm always doing. Oh, to be young again !!! Wishful thinking, but looking at your image from the cruise book I see you were in 1st division. I can assume you were a Boatswain's mate?
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:15 am

minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:Not knowing where to post these, I felt transportation fit the category best.

While in Norfolk, Va a little over 3 years ago, we took a luncheon cruise, where I was able to capture some of the naval ships in port. The submarine didn't have a hull number showing so I'm taking a guess that it's the USS Scranton (SSN-756) after doing a search. Not 100% sure though. The others and not in any order are, USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), USS SAN ANTONIO (LPD 17), USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), USS Harry S. Truman (CVN-75), USNS COMFORT (T-AH 20) then an image of two carriers Truman, Roosevelt and the LHD Kearsarge which is a Wasp-class amphibious assault ship.

These are a little heavily processed as I wanted the dramatic clouds to stand out. Thoughts and comments?

Nice "story" series told in Dave Chinn-style in your very own visual language. Thanks for sharing (and thanks to Duck for a nice add-on too).

Thanks Minnie !!! Being the introvert that I am, when it comes to story telling, thats about as good as it gets, LOL !!! I appreciate your thoughts tho.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:29 am

rmalarz wrote:David, these are quite nicely done. Your processing added drama to a relatively tranquil scene. Though I can easily understand Linda's sentiments and the unavoidable cost of keeping our country safe, I was inspired to think of the aid missions that, perhaps, 'Comfort' has been assigned. During earthquakes and storms, islands off our coast have had the merciful side of the U.S. displayed. Our ships were providing drinking water, supplies, and aid to those who were in need, a display of the soft side of the very big stick we carry.
--Bob

Thank you Bob !!! I appreciate your comments. The clouds that were handed to me only encouraged me to push them further for a more dramatic effect. I may have gone overboard but I can always take them in another route, which I'm considering to maybe push even further?

I agree with yours and Linda's assessment with 'Comfort' and often wonder if there is much appreciation from other countries of our support to help in natural disasters.
Dave

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Yep, "jack of all trades, master of none!". I can at least boast I steered that puppy... :-D
...and gassed her, loaded freight, taxied sailors to and from, hung over the side to paint her and shined her up so dignitaries could marvel at our awesomeness. ;-)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 am

It's amazing how connected we are and how a single post can bring us all together. Thank you for posting this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Duck wrote:Yep, [i]"jack of all trades, master of none!"[\i]. I can at least boast I steered that puppy... :-D
...and gassed her, loaded freight, taxied sailors to and from, hung over the side to paint her and shined her up so dignitaries could marvel at our awesomeness. ;-)

I totally understand the 'jack of all trades' and envy you for steering JFK !!! What a great experience that must have been. I was ships company "Airdale" with the weapons department. Although, I have had some experience with Boatswain's mate since I was sent TAD a few times side cleaning, fun time in the nets, and help man the liberty boats. Always struggled with remembering all the knots and even to this day I have issues tying my own shoes, LOL. No, but really the boatswain's mate had a hard job. My brother was one for ten years.

This image is one of a shipmate and I in 1974 taken prior to liberty in Athens, while the other is a comparison of the same image but the faces have been photoshopped in from 2008 at the first America reunion I attended. The 2008 version was at my beginning stages of compositing and isn't all that good, but it does get the point across of then and now.
Dave
Attachments
Double #2 web.jpg
'Then & Now'
Double #2 web.jpg (223.23 KiB) Viewed 78 times

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 pm

St3v3M wrote:It's amazing how connected we are and how a single post can bring us all together. Thank you for posting this! S-

Your welcome Steve !!! I'm rather enjoying it myself.
Dave

Return to “― Transportation Critique”