"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Critic's Corner'The Getaway' (A Composite)

Vehicles of any type. If it travels from one place to another it's fair game.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
davechinn
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

'The Getaway' (A Composite)

Postby davechinn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:11 pm

This is a composite I have been working on for the last 4 to 5 weeks. This idea/concept came to me while working on another composite that isn't complete. I had most of the components to get as far I have with this one, but wanting to add a few more elements without going overboard as to not clutter it up. So, this is a work in progress and knowing there are flaws I decided to post to see if there are any hidden flaws I may have missed. Any suggestions to this composite would be greatly appreciated. My plans are to include a police car in pursuit to me and my son on 'The Getaway' bike. The concept should be obvious to the viewer. An armed robbery has just occurred, and while the gunman is running to the getaway bike (already on the move) the case accidentally opens and all the money is loose, and while the gunman is still on the run to getaway not caring of the money, grabs the back of my hair in an attempt to get on the moving bike. The police on the right side making two arrests and not giving any thought or care to the bank robbery. I hope my description makes sense and is understandable. As I said previously, this is a work in progress and I'm hoping for any suggestions for completion. Also, not knowing exactly where to post, transportation seemed to be the best fit.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_2583w.jpg
The original starting point
The Getaway 2 DEC_2583 #2w.jpg
'The Getawy'

minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 'The Getaway' (A Composite)

Postby minniev » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Cool image, Dave, and a fun, creative composite that's well planned and executed. You're well on your way with it. Maybe some more shadow work on the figure that's on foo. There's some sort of anomaly on the root of the central building near the left corner. There are halos on various edges that you'll want to clean up once you all the elements in place.

We do have a section for the artistic creations on the showcase section but it seems we can find new images no matter the section so it should be fine here.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Ah, the world of illustration. Now you're in my territory. :-D

Here are some things that strike me right off the bat, without going into finite detail. Listed in no particular order but something to keep in mind as you move forward.
  • Your son is looking at the camera, not at you. Should be an easy fix.
  • He also looks like he's grabbing your hair and pulling you off the bike rather than playing 'catch up'. Give some separation by moving the bike forward.
  • Your left hand is not on the handlebars (yeah, I know... shutter release) making it look awkward. Perhaps place another bag with loose money flying back to make the 'theft' a collaborative event.
  • The police in background seem oblivious to what's happening creating an incongruous storyline. I'd get rid of them, specially if you'll be adding a police chase.
  • The girl on the sidelines is almost lost. Bring her out further (and closer to the action) or get rid of her.
  • Perhaps place a "BANK" sign on that nicely featured building in the background lending further to the storyline.
  • Blur the tires, not the road. If you blur the road you should also blur the background buildings.
  • Get rid of those white marks on the curb in the foreground. They're rather distracting.
  • The added parked car adds nothing and if there's going to be a chase it'll only get hidden.
  • The surreal nature of this image makes me visualize a cop hanging out the vehicle window in the chase. Not sure if you can pull that one off but...

Overall, I love the concept and the style. In a photo composition you have control of how you tell the story. It's too easy to get lost in the novelty of creation that you lose track of the story you are trying to tell. The "oohs" and "ahhs" over your editing prowess is a byproduct of the composition. The story telling is the principal and you're definitely off to a fantastic start.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby davechinn » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:37 pm

Duck wrote:Ah, the world of illustration. Now you're in my territory. :-D

Here are some things that strike me right off the bat, without going into finite detail. Listed in no particular order but something to keep in mind as you move forward.
  • Your son is looking at the camera, not at you. Should be an easy fix.
  • He also looks like he's grabbing your hair and pulling you off the bike rather than playing 'catch up'. Give some separation by moving the bike forward.
  • Your left hand is not on the handlebars (yeah, I know... shutter release) making it look awkward. Perhaps place another bag with loose money flying back to make the 'theft' a collaborative event.
  • The police in background seem oblivious to what's happening creating an incongruous storyline. I'd get rid of them, specially if you'll be adding a police chase.
  • The girl on the sidelines is almost lost. Bring her out further (and closer to the action) or get rid of her.
  • Perhaps place a "BANK" sign on that nicely featured building in the background lending further to the storyline.
  • Blur the tires, not the road. If you blur the road you should also blur the background buildings.
  • Get rid of those white marks on the curb in the foreground. They're rather distracting.
  • The added parked car adds nothing and if there's going to be a chase it'll only get hidden.
  • The surreal nature of this image makes me visualize a cop hanging out the vehicle window in the chase. Not sure if you can pull that one off but...

Overall, I love the concept and the style. In a photo composition you have control of how you tell the story. It's too easy to get lost in the novelty of creation that you lose track of the story you are trying to tell. The "oohs" and "ahhs" over your editing prowess is a byproduct of the composition. The story telling is the principal and you're definitely off to a fantastic start.

Thank your for your valid points. Yes, my son looking at the camera was something I noticed as well. Him pulling my hair was the intention, but I still may make a move with either the bike or him. No decision for which one as of yet. Another loose bag of money is a good idea that I will most likely impose on. My intention to the oblivious policemen was an intent to create a chaotic scene, so they most likely will stay. The girl on the sidelines was place there because of her expression. I do agree more of her needs to be shown, but I don't have a full body shot of and that is the reason she is placed in that position. However, she may and probably will go. A bank sign is something I thought about and most likely will place one to my liking. I have struggled in the past when it comes to blurring. Where to put it and how much. The foreground road will most likely be slightly blurred but the background road will not. The white lines are crosswalks and will stay as well. The only parked cars are further up the street in the next block. If you are referring to the car right behind the money? That car was placed there traveling in the opposite direction because there is a dog with its head out the door window looking back. I know its not that obvious, but my thinking is it will be more obvious if printed poster size. The dog looking back, I thought gave a little more humor to a chaotic scene, which will most likely stay. A cop hanging out a car window would be great, but its probably very unlikely I will ever get one, so I will have to venture out for some sort of police car during a call with lights on. I appreciate your feedback, which is very descriptive and accurate. My intention with this concept was to tell/show a somewhat humorous chaotic scene, while being as realistic as possible, knowing that the viewer will obviously know it's not real.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:10 am

I know nothing of composites other than what I see, but I think that's what you're after here so I will say as much.

I love the style of the processing and the angle of the composition, but the first thing I noticed was the runner's leg. While it's possible his leg would look fairly straight it's more plausible it would be bent in a runners position. The real problems though are his feet which look blurred with a sort of 'The Flash' motion blur to his back foot. Both of your eyes seem to be looking at the camera, but it's interesting as if you're looking directly at us and involving us in the action. I can also see your foot and the kickstand on the left. If I were to say anything about what I notice most about composites though it's the lack of shadow, or shadows where they belong.

This is fascinating and am excited to see more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby davechinn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:12 am

minniev wrote:Cool image, Dave, and a fun, creative composite that's well planned and executed. You're well on your way with it. Maybe some more shadow work on the figure that's on foo. There's some sort of anomaly on the root of the central building near the left corner. There are halos on various edges that you'll want to clean up once you all the elements in place.

We do have a section for the artistic creations on the showcase section but it seems we can find new images no matter the section so it should be fine here.

Thank you Minnie !!! I must apologize for unbeknownst to me, I totally overlooked your comments. I actually didn't see it. This sort of thing is frightening because here lately I've been forgetting normal routine activities, doing errands such as going to mail items to the Post Office only to drive past to a different task, then realize once back home what I've forgotten. So again, I apologize, it was an honest oversight.

I appreciate you pointing out things that need addressing. I agree, as I'm terrible with the haloing issues, also more shadows are also needed. I have made some corrections that were mentioned. I have also added a couple more elements for completion, also moved the subjects closer to the curb. I'll start a revised thread to show the changes. I always enjoy the tips and suggestions, because it always helps me see the details I have missed from the knowledge of others. It's a needed plus for my eyes. I wasn't aware of the section for the artistic creations. I will have to look there for future composites because I have a few others in mind but not sure what the time line will be. I am still trying to re-familiarize myself with the site and is rather difficult for me to navigate through.
Dave
Last edited by davechinn on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

davechinn
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby davechinn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:38 am

St3v3M wrote:I know nothing of composites other than what I see, but I think that's what you're after here so I will say as much.

I love the style of the processing and the angle of the composition, but the first thing I noticed was the runner's leg. While it's possible his leg would look fairly straight it's more plausible it would be bent in a runners position. The real problems though are his feet which look blurred with a sort of 'The Flash' motion blur to his back foot. Both of your eyes seem to be looking at the camera, but it's interesting as if you're looking directly at us and involving us in the action. I can also see your foot and the kickstand on the left. If I were to say anything about what I notice most about composites though it's the lack of shadow, or shadows where they belong.

This is fascinating and am excited to see more! S-

Thank you Steve !!! I appreciate your comments and while I agree, I will say the runner was in a running position, but sort of lurched forward that would possibly show what you are seeing. Yes, I do believe I went to far with blurring his feet and I think I have made the necessary corrections. The eyes were a bother to me, as well to others, and instead of a reshoot I just grabbed another set of eyes of him from an earlier photo for that correction. While I never gave thought to, "involving us in the action" it DOES make sense. I'm not all that familiar with this bike, but I do believe what you are seeing on the left side may be the lever to shift gears. Yes, shadows can be a problem. Where to place them and how much have always been a difficult down fault of mine. I find the more of these I do the shadow issue gets easier, but it's still an area I need more practice with. As I told Minnie, I have what I think is a complete, but different revised 'Getaway' composite that I will start a new thread for further opinions, because I plan on printing this in poster size for my son that he is not aware of.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:58 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank you Steve !!! I appreciate your comments and while I agree, I will say the runner was in a running position, but sort of lurched forward that would possibly show what you are seeing. Yes, I do believe I went to far with blurring his feet and I think I have made the necessary corrections. The eyes were a bother to me, as well to others, and instead of a reshoot I just grabbed another set of eyes of him from an earlier photo for that correction. While I never gave thought to, "involving us in the action" it DOES make sense. I'm not all that familiar with this bike, but I do believe what you are seeing on the left side may be the lever to shift gears. Yes, shadows can be a problem. Where to place them and how much have always been a difficult down fault of mine. I find the more of these I do the shadow issue gets easier, but it's still an area I need more practice with. As I told Minnie, I have what I think is a complete, but different revised 'Getaway' composite that I will start a new thread for further opinions, because I plan on printing this in poster size for my son that he is not aware of.
Dave

It's been fun working through this with you and feel free to re-post here if you'd like otherwise a new post will be well received.

It's a small thing, but the cropped image looks like a boot and kickstand. I may be wrong of course! S-
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.32 KiB) Viewed 163 times

davechinn
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus

Postby davechinn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:19 am

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:Thank you Steve !!! I appreciate your comments and while I agree, I will say the runner was in a running position, but sort of lurched forward that would possibly show what you are seeing. Yes, I do believe I went to far with blurring his feet and I think I have made the necessary corrections. The eyes were a bother to me, as well to others, and instead of a reshoot I just grabbed another set of eyes of him from an earlier photo for that correction. While I never gave thought to, "involving us in the action" it DOES make sense. I'm not all that familiar with this bike, but I do believe what you are seeing on the left side may be the lever to shift gears. Yes, shadows can be a problem. Where to place them and how much have always been a difficult down fault of mine. I find the more of these I do the shadow issue gets easier, but it's still an area I need more practice with. As I told Minnie, I have what I think is a complete, but different revised 'Getaway' composite that I will start a new thread for further opinions, because I plan on printing this in poster size for my son that he is not aware of.
Dave

It's been fun working through this with you and feel free to re-post here if you'd like otherwise a new post will be well received.

It's a small thing, but the cropped image looks like a boot and kickstand. I may be wrong of course! S-

Thank you Steve for the follow up. Yes it has been and is fun to work through various issues in discussions/conversation. Communication is a major key to clear up any misunderstandings. I appreciate you pointing out what appears to be the kickstand. You are correct that is my left foot on a lever that I am assuming is the shifter control. However, after close examination, I do believe your right. I too, think that is the kickstand. Then again, I'm getting confused. However to be safe, I'm removing it. I have since started a revised thread in the Artistic Expressions, which I discovered the Forum rules of
No critiquing of images allowed there. Images posted there are for showcasing our member's work. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=2486 I should have reposted in this thread. Either way a revised version is there, but feel that the rules should be change to allow critiquing. Thanks again.
Dave
Attachments
Styker Stand DEC_0556w.jpg
The Getaway #2w.jpg
Revised version

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:22 pm

davechinn wrote:Thank you Steve for the follow up. Yes it has been and is fun to work through various issues in discussions/conversation. Communication is a major key to clear up any misunderstandings. I appreciate you pointing out what appears to be the kickstand. You are correct that is my left foot on a lever that I am assuming is the shifter control. However, after close examination, I do believe your right. I too, think that is the kickstand. Then again, I'm getting confused. However to be safe, I'm removing it. I have since started a revised thread in the Artistic Expressions, which I discovered the Forum rules of
No critiquing of images allowed there. Images posted there are for showcasing our member's work. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=2486 I should have reposted in this thread. Either way a revised version is there, but feel that the rules should be change to allow critiquing. Thanks again.
Dave

Hey Dave, you're a great sport and have been more than great helping us learn your process!

I'm not sure what I'm seeing either but assume you shot the bike at a standstill so you needed some way to hold it up. Sic bike by the way!

And I love your re-post so much more! It's basically the same but shows how even little changes can make a huge difference! The money looks like it's on a layer of it's own and I assume you can blend it or something, but I really love the addition of the police car. It could be parked, it could be chasing you, but either way it really enforces the story and makes a word of difference.

Wow, this is really fun, like I'm working on this project with you! Thank you for being so patient with me! S-

As as side, we're still working on the Sections, and this is a great suggestion! Thank you again!

Return to “Transportation”