"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals CritiqueLinesman At Work + A Teaspoon of Dynamic Symmetry

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Linesman At Work + A Teaspoon of Dynamic Symmetry

Postby minniev » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this one, though it should have been obvious, because the bird is not the subject, but only a bit player in the larger composition involving those lines and triangles. At any rate, tell me what you think of it and what you advise.
Attachments
lineman (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Linesman At Work + A Teaspoon of Dynamic Symmetry

Postby Duck » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 pm

This is why I like to avoid written narratives... I am now confused. 8~
The title says "lineman at work" but I see an image of a bird, no lineman, yet you say this image isn't about the bird. I'm going to have to ask for some form of clarification here because I feel I'm missing something. :dunce:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:22 am

Duck wrote:This is why I like to avoid written narratives... I am now confused. 8~
The title says "lineman at work" but I see an image of a bird, no lineman, yet you say this image isn't about the bird. I'm going to have to ask for some form of clarification here because I feel I'm missing something. :dunce:

If you'll talk to me about the image, I'll be a happy camper. Ignore narrative, title and anything else I say that doesn't make sense, hopefully better days ahead. (had oral surgery today, and my brain is kinda rattled).

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:17 pm

The overall lines are greatly appealing to me. I was just telling Steve yesterday how I love taking photos of birds on wires. I was even thinking of doing a share topic, so we must be mind melding again :) I haven't yet viewed the video in the link Steve provided on "dynamic symmetry" so this photo is a good nudge to go do that.

Additionally I like the dead branches climbing the pole and the fact that it's a raptor perched precariously on the wire (I only see them on the wooden crossbars and we have them in abundance). It seems like that's more old fashioned wiring with those knob things, but maybe I'm just not observant enough with my own, or always shooting into the bright light for silhouettes so don't notice.

If you're recovered from your surgery enough to talk about your own framing choices, I'd love to hear 'cause this is one I can't quite put into words. Thanks Minnie!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:42 pm

LindaShorey wrote:The overall lines are greatly appealing to me. I was just telling Steve yesterday how I love taking photos of birds on wires. I was even thinking of doing a share topic, so we must be mind melding again :) I haven't yet viewed the video in the link Steve provided on "dynamic symmetry" so this photo is a good nudge to go do that.

Additionally I like the dead branches climbing the pole and the fact that it's a raptor perched precariously on the wire (I only see them on the wooden crossbars and we have them in abundance). It seems like that's more old fashioned wiring with those knob things, but maybe I'm just not observant enough with my own, or always shooting into the bright light for silhouettes so don't notice.

If you're recovered from your surgery enough to talk about your own framing choices, I'd love to hear 'cause this is one I can't quite put into words. Thanks Minnie!

I suspect I'm still thinking in gibberish but backing off on the meds today so not quite as addled as yesterday. Won't be trying to explain any complex ideas though.

I liked all the elements you listed - bird, lines, vines, weathered pole, the old insulators, so squashed them into one composition, with my usual preference for lines going from lower left corner to upper right corner and the other stuff a little off center, resting on a series of triangles behind and below the bird. Of course it didn't quite fit that arrangement but it never does.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:48 pm

minniev wrote:I suspect I'm still thinking in gibberish but backing off on the meds today so not quite as addled as yesterday. Won't be trying to explain any complex ideas though.

I liked all the elements you listed - bird, lines, vines, weathered pole, the old insulators, so squashed them into one composition, with my usual preference for lines going from lower left corner to upper right corner and the other stuff a little off center, resting on a series of triangles behind and below the bird. Of course it didn't quite fit that arrangement but it never does.

Thank you Minnie! I think I'm trying too hard to figure out messages on some images lately. I'm going back to talking about emotional impact only :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:45 pm

minniev wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this one, though it should have been obvious, because the bird is not the subject, but only a bit player in the larger composition involving those lines and triangles. At any rate, tell me what you think of it and what you advise.

So dynamic symmetry. I'm still trying to figger out thirds and golden rations (autocorrect did that but I'm leaving it 'cuz it's funny). I tried very hard to read that piece and look at all the intersecting lines happily obscuring the pitcher beneath and O EM GEE what new torture is this?! Ack! No! I refuse to play!! :x

I like this picture! Very much! But to me the raptor is most certainly and emphatically the subject. The lines are great, leading, diagonal, crossing, making triangles, all very nice and backgroundy and stuff, but the bird! (Redtail I think.) S/he is raptly (sorry but not really) ...raptly with her little eye skewering some unfortunate small brown eyed critter far below. You can see her head cocked ever so slightly to her right shoulder. She grips the wire tensely and leans slightly forward, watching for that fraction of a second when brown eyes is too exposed and DOWN she will plummet like a rock! This is a great picture! What a story, gore and all (we all gotta eat). Now, I will concede that it may be that dynamic symmetry has obviated the need to place the bird on the upper left intersection of the gawd'a'mighty thirds, which we all know (snark) is photographic holy writ, but I find the picture dramatic and appealing regardless of compositional foofrippery. :thumbup: It's bad enough that I have the holy grid of thirds on in my finder at all times lest I sin, but the fact is I often ignore it and go with my gut. Now I'm supposed to mentally draw MORE flippin' lines before I release the shutter? I say again, Ack! No! I refuse to play!! :x
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
minniev wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this one, though it should have been obvious, because the bird is not the subject, but only a bit player in the larger composition involving those lines and triangles. At any rate, tell me what you think of it and what you advise.

So dynamic symmetry. I'm still trying to figger out thirds and golden rations (autocorrect did that but I'm leaving it 'cuz it's funny). I tried very hard to read that piece and look at all the intersecting lines happily obscuring the pitcher beneath and O EM GEE what new torture is this?! Ack! No! I refuse to play!! :x

I like this picture! Very much! But to me the raptor is most certainly and emphatically the subject. The lines are great, leading, diagonal, crossing, making triangles, all very nice and backgroundy and stuff, but the bird! (Redtail I think.) S/he is raptly (sorry but not really) ...raptly with her little eye skewering some unfortunate small brown eyed critter far below. You can see her head cocked ever so slightly to her right shoulder. She grips the wire tensely and leans slightly forward, watching for that fraction of a second when brown eyes is too exposed and DOWN she will plummet like a rock! This is a great picture! What a story, gore and all (we all gotta eat). Now, I will concede that it may be that dynamic symmetry has obviated the need to place the bird on the upper left intersection of the gawd'a'mighty thirds, which we all know (snark) is photographic holy writ, but I find the picture dramatic and appealing regardless of compositional foofrippery. :thumbup: It's bad enough that I have the holy grid of thirds on in my finder at all times lest I sin, but the fact is I often ignore it and go with my gut. Now I'm supposed to mentally draw MORE flippin' lines before I release the shutter? I say again, Ack! No! I refuse to play!! :x

Thank ya Chuck, glad you liked it. I don't know how to draw those lines either, but I see shape-filled geometry without even thinking about it, it is built into how I see in a way I can't explain. So even though most of that article sailed over my head (I hadn't heard that term before), the triangles and lines looked comfortingly familiar.
The Min Method does not rely on drawing anything mentally or physically, it relies instead on spotting the shapes and lines and stuffing them into whatever section of the frame I feel like they best fit into. So, I can't discuss it with any intelligence, but I think I know what it's made of! (lines).

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:55 am

minniev wrote:Thank ya Chuck, glad you liked it. I don't know how to draw those lines either, but I see shape-filled geometry without even thinking about it, it is built into how I see in a way I can't explain. So even though most of that article sailed over my head (I hadn't heard that term before), the triangles and lines looked comfortingly familiar.
The Min Method does not rely on drawing anything mentally or physically, it relies instead on spotting the shapes and lines and stuffing them into whatever section of the frame I feel like they best fit into. So, I can't discuss it with any intelligence, but I think I know what it's made of! (lines).

"The Min Method does not rely on drawing anything mentally or physically, it relies instead on spotting the shapes and lines and stuffing them into whatever section of the frame I feel like they best fit into." Hm. I remain disappointed that my mentors in school never taught us any art. They were commercial photographers, training us to do what they did back more than a century; produce on demand. They did have us do weekly self-assignments for class critique. There they would sometimes introduce rule-of-thirds type concepts, but the real emphasis was always on print quality (it was 100% B&W). They taught zone system, crisp blacks and paper whites and loooong scale. We understood clearly what "flat" was as opposed to "punchy." For art they encouraged us to go to museums and galleries. "Learn the palette," they said. "The art will follow." MMmmmaybe...

I know your work well and I find it always pleasing if not stunning. But why? There I haven't a real grasp. I like to think my compositions are reasonable, balanced, not bad. But much of that is either reliance on thirds or variations, or just instinct. "That looks good." I suppose what I should do is take a course, but... You at least have some grasp of what you're doing and for my money it works very well. :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 am

I like this and I don't. The image is good and I like the lines but suspect it's too much blue. It's a beautiful hawk and surprisingly sharp! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Critique”