"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerFishing Buddies

Our feathered friends from the common to the exotic. Share images, techniques and equipment ideas.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Fishing Buddies

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Is the belted kingfisher just too tiny to be of interest? I am so attracted to these little charmers and I found this setting to be engaging: mist rising off the river as early sun reached it. The "buddy" is in lower right corner: a great blue heron. Please be honest and also feel free to make suggestions that might further my goal of presenting a sense of place and moment. Thanks!
Attachments
1 P9240029.jpg
1 P9240029.jpg (579.41 KiB) Viewed 147 times
Last edited by LindaShorey on Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Re: Fishing Buddies

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 pm

-- oops
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Phil Y
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Phil Y » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 am

....oops right back to you. Hi Linda, I've been wandering around here for a day or two and enjoying so many familiar contributors. Still have not completely gotten my bearings but this seems like a good place to jump in with my first post. A Kingfisher's profile anywhere in the world is an easy ID and there is enough detail to confirm this is a Belted Kingfisher. I think getting these two great hunters in the same frame is a wonderful moment. Your composition and processing adds a great deal and gives an enjoyable moody feel to watching these guys at work.
I will attempt to introduce myself to this interesting site in a separate post.
Phil
Last edited by Phil Y on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:59 am

Wonderful image, Linda. There is a lot going for it. As to your question, perhaps expanding from a square to a landscape aspect ratio will help give this more a sense of place as it will expand our view of the scene. I'm also wondering if the overall tonality isn't too warm. One can construe there is a forest fire happening near by. ;-)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 am

I love it Linda but for me the mist in the lower right seems over done or something....

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:03 am

I like this, with your creative interpretation of the fog and the two silhouetted fishermen assessing the morning market. They look so zen-like in their concentration. I might pull back on the reds in the fog over the heron's back, but otherwise I think this processing route is a keeper to convey the sense of morning in the fog.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Phil Y wrote:....oops right back to you. Hi Linda, I've been wandering around here for a day or two and enjoying so many familiar contributors. Still have not completely gotten my bearings but this seem like a good place to jump in with my first post. A Kingfisher's profile anywhere in the world is an easy ID and there is enough detail to confirm this is a Belted Kingfisher. I think getting these two great hunters in the same frame is a wonderful moment. Your composition and processing adds a great deal and gives an enjoyable moody feel to watching these guys at work.
I will attempt to introduce myself to this interesting site in a separate post.
Phil

Great to see you, Phil! Thanks so much for your visit and comments. Looking forward to your being a part of this growing forum.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Duck, Frank, Minnie: thank you all for your suggestions for tweaks and your impressions of the image. I'll try a few edits per your comments and come back later. Your time and insights are much appreciated!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:04 pm

Here is a wider view with less red. Frank, I didn't attempt to change the corner with the heron other than cloning a bit of log (similar clone as first I posted; the reason I had to re-do is result of my bad habit of cropping early on, lol). There is sunlit fog coming right across that area and I'm not sure what steps might improve. Any further discussion appreciated if you are interested :)
Attachments
1 P9240029-1.jpg
1 P9240029-1.jpg (625.75 KiB) Viewed 114 times

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:10 pm

The fog does not seem as intense from the larger view...well done Linda.

Return to “Birds”