“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerBright Swan in an Art Gallery

Our feathered friends from the common to the exotic. Share images, techniques and equipment ideas.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Bright Swan in an Art Gallery

Postby St3v3M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:30 am

Charles Haacker wrote:... I have no specific questions beyond what you might do differently? I'm very much a play-it-as-it-lies documentary style guy so ... (?)

I have to wonder if there's a way to duplicate the area and remove the pillar, but mostly I wonder what the piece would look like shot flat-on or even a little from below. The first would be at water-level and the second a little below. Either of these might remove the pillar without editing and give another perspective.

What I love most about is the texture. I wonder if a little more contrast might enhance it some. Beautiful, just beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 am

St3v3M wrote:I have to wonder if there's a way to duplicate the area and remove the pillar, but mostly I wonder what the piece would look like shot flat-on or even a little from below. The first would be at water-level and the second a little below. Either of these might remove the pillar without editing and give another perspective.

What I love most about is the texture. I wonder if a little more contrast might enhance it some. Beautiful, just beautiful! S-

Thanks, Steve. I hate the pillar, too, but the reason for the angle was to get the entire shadow. It was the shadow that attracted me in the first place. I only made one exposure. I probably could have done a study but it's in an art gallery, not a museum, so I felt a little hesitant to photograph any of the stuff since it's all for sale. (?)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks, Steve. I hate the pillar, too, but the reason for the angle was to get the entire shadow. It was the shadow that attracted me in the first place. I only made one exposure. I probably could have done a study but it's in an art gallery, not a museum, so I felt a little hesitant to photograph any of the stuff since it's all for sale. (?)

I shot at The Getty once and even then it felt awkward, all self-imposed of course, so I understand! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby uuglypher » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi, Chuck,
I think museum photography can be a challenge, but it can be lessened if I can decide what aspects of the museum"s purposful presentation ought be included in my image and what inevitable distractions can be done away with...(... away with can be done...????)

Anywayyyy....here's a closer crop to consider. To my eye the vertical shadow on the left and the little dark shadow top right we're the major distractions, and although it is "a tight crop" to my eye, it's a small price to pay to be rid of the major distractions, while keeping the effect of the complementary effect of the shadow of the swan's neck curve.

Dave
IMG_8828.JPG
IMG_8828.JPG (96.13 KiB) Viewed 112 times

Return to “Birds”