“The only way you'll find out if you 'have it in you' is to get to work and see if you do.” —Cheryl Strayed

Critic's CornerA Pair of Backlit Birds

Our feathered friends from the common to the exotic. Share images, techniques and equipment ideas.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Pair of Backlit Birds

Postby minniev » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 pm

From this morning - all comments and edits welcome,including crops. This has a lot of negative space, wanted to know what others thought.
Attachments
bird2 (1 of 1).jpg
bird (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Re: A Pair of Backlit Birds

Postby PietFrancke » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:45 pm

opinions may vary - for me, the first doesn't work at all - the greens just too busy and the bird as a result is not even the subject. The second on the other hand, the second is sublime and deserves to be on a wall. I love it for the tones, the ripples, the shapes, the negative space provides peace and comfort.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 am

Yes, #2 is one of those that make you say, "I know fine art when I see it!" Contemplative comes to mind. I could gaze at it a very long time.

I would like #1 if...there was a bit more water detail or maybe a bit darker and not quite so bright foreground, and scrub out the log on right side that abuts the frame. I was going to say crop, but I do love the aspect as presented (there's also a smudge in upper left corner). I am very attracted to the composition and do feel the heron is the subject - maybe because I would have been delighted to discover and most definitely would have shot.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:48 am

minniev wrote:From this morning - all comments and edits welcome,including crops. This has a lot of negative space, wanted to know what others thought.

I think the second is marvelous. Love all the negative space. Looks like the bird is standing on an alligator. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:19 am

PietFrancke wrote:opinions may vary - for me, the first doesn't work at all - the greens just too busy and the bird as a result is not even the subject. The second on the other hand, the second is sublime and deserves to be on a wall. I love it for the tones, the ripples, the shapes, the negative space provides peace and comfort.

Thanks Piet. I liked the second one best too. But there they were, so close together in matching poses, so I had to try it.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 am

LindaShorey wrote:Yes, #2 is one of those that make you say, "I know fine art when I see it!" Contemplative comes to mind. I could gaze at it a very long time.

I would like #1 if...there was a bit more water detail or maybe a bit darker and not quite so bright foreground, and scrub out the log on right side that abuts the frame. I was going to say crop, but I do love the aspect as presented (there's also a smudge in upper left corner). I am very attracted to the composition and do feel the heron is the subject - maybe because I would have been delighted to discover and most definitely would have shot.

Thanks Linda, i liked the second one best too. The first does need a bit of a fix. DE-smudging :) and re-cropping perhaps....

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:22 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:From this morning - all comments and edits welcome,including crops. This has a lot of negative space, wanted to know what others thought.

I think the second is marvelous. Love all the negative space. Looks like the bird is standing on an alligator. Matt

Thank you. This bend in the river has a few good perches that attract my feathered fishermen.

Return to “Birds”