“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerFishing Buddies

Our feathered friends from the common to the exotic. Share images, techniques and equipment ideas.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Fishing Buddies

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:13 pm

Carol W wrote:I am much more comfortable with the second, toned down version. I also prefer the crop of that version. This is a really cool shot - two predators patiently waiting for their next opportunity!

Thanks so much, Carol! I love stumbling onto critter scenes like this, even if I didn't actually see the heron initially, lol. I'm leaning towards an edit somewhere between the first and second one, I think. Just because it's so great to see sun and color now after weeks of the gauzy, veiled look from smoke.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:58 am

LindaShorey wrote:Is the belted kingfisher just too tiny to be of interest? I am so attracted to these little charmers and I found this setting to be engaging: mist rising off the river as early sun reached it. The "buddy" is in lower right corner: a great blue heron. Please be honest and also feel free to make suggestions that might further my goal of presenting a sense of place and moment. Thanks!

I'd like to say you could crop this in ten to twenty percent, but the debris at the top and the little buddy in the right really tie the shot, so while I like to crop I say this shot works well, and the main subject doesn't always have to be the biggest. The little kingfisher is easy to see, well lit and perfectly positioned. I really like the addition of the blue heron too. That stare says it all.

There's something about the light that's really beautiful, and that mist, that mist really makes it work. I thought the image might be a little red so I ran it through Picasa's I'm Feeling Lucky and all it did was sharpen the image removing that beautiful texture, then I ran it through Lightroom thinking I would drop the reds, but found it's a mixture of orange and yellow. Changing either made it ugly.

I think you have it, but like all images posted here I wonder if you had a question beyond the crop you wanted to ask. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:43 pm

St3v3M wrote:I'd like to say you could crop this in ten to twenty percent, but the debris at the top and the little buddy in the right really tie the shot, so while I like to crop I say this shot works well, and the main subject doesn't always have to be the biggest. The little kingfisher is easy to see, well lit and perfectly positioned. I really like the addition of the blue heron too. That stare says it all.

There's something about the light that's really beautiful, and that mist, that mist really makes it work. I thought the image might be a little red so I ran it through Picasa's I'm Feeling Lucky and all it did was sharpen the image removing that beautiful texture, then I ran it through Lightroom thinking I would drop the reds, but found it's a mixture of orange and yellow. Changing either made it ugly.

I think you have it, but like all images posted here I wonder if you had a question beyond the crop you wanted to ask. S-

Thank you for all your efforts and comments, Steve! Someone showed me a vertical crop, which is excellent for making the story more about the birds and less about the total scene, plus I posted a second image to this thread removing much of the red. I did a total re-edit to achieve that... because I'd cropped the first to that aspect prior to initial edits :|

As for any other questions, no. I was just curious if the tiny kingfisher and its buddy were of interest as part of the larger mood of the mist rising as the sunrise hit the river, and Minnie's comment of "zen-like" focus of the buddies was very cool too. Definitely works better with them both facing the water.

Thanks again!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:32 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thank you for all your efforts and comments, Steve! Someone showed me a vertical crop, which is excellent for making the story more about the birds and less about the total scene, plus I posted a second image to this thread removing much of the red. I did a total re-edit to achieve that... because I'd cropped the first to that aspect prior to initial edits :|

As for any other questions, no. I was just curious if the tiny kingfisher and its buddy were of interest as part of the larger mood of the mist rising as the sunrise hit the river, and Minnie's comment of "zen-like" focus of the buddies was very cool too. Definitely works better with them both facing the water.

Thanks again!

I'm always amazed how a crop can completely change the story from what we had to something completely new. There are times I see it, but there are also times I know the image is there but can't yet find it so I take too much and work with it more at home. It's always interesting to me how a story reveals itself!

And if I knew more about it I might consider bringing the kingfisher down closer to the herons level making the story more about them. I love what you have here, but really love the texture you were able to achieve with that morning light. It's wonderful, absolutely wonderful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:48 pm

While the Kingfisher(?) and Egret are readily identifiable, I see an echo of another "fishing buddy" in the fallen trees in the misty far shore ...... it almost looks like a mallard taking flight from the shoreline. A thoroughly enjoyable jaunt outdoors in some magical lighting conditions.

Bob

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:While the Kingfisher(?) and Egret are readily identifiable, I see an echo of another "fishing buddy" in the fallen trees in the misty far shore ...... it almost looks like a mallard taking flight from the shoreline. A thoroughly enjoyable jaunt outdoors in some magical lighting conditions.

Bob

Thank you, Bob. The foreground birds are belted kingfisher and great blue heron. Until a couple of weeks ago I'd only encountered one egret - a great white - in this area, then I stumbled onto four when I didn't have the right lens, though the light was poor anyway.

Return to “Birds”