“In photography there are no shadows that cannot be illuminated.” —August Sander

Critic's CornerThe Dam Birds of August

Our feathered friends from the common to the exotic. Share images, techniques and equipment ideas.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The Dam Birds of August

Postby minniev » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I love it in color. The first word that came to mind was "ethereal." The scene seems overall monotone anyway, except for the two splashes of sunlight on the water that, because of the angle almost look as if the birds have "cast light" instead of shadow. I would not like to lose those splashes either by removing the color or cropping (sorry, Ernst ;) ). Ethereal. Lovely. :thumbup:

Thank you Chuck! I had exactly the same thought, that the birds were casting shadows of sparkling light. I am experimenting with a pano format that holds those shiny things in the frame. The colors are muted, and like many of the dam shots, defined more by the light than the thing itself (gold in the light tones, blue in the shadows). I like many of them equally in color and black and white, there are oddly infinite opportunities in this one small area.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: The Dam Birds of August

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Not a problem Charles, We all see differently. ;-)
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Return to “Birds”