― Transportation ShowcaseModel Railroad Show in Lincoln

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Model Railroad Show in Lincoln

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 am

Daphne and I were both train nuts, and every year in February we would go to the Madison Model RR show. In the past my focus was usually pretty straightforward, but this was a new show and I had my new Sony A6000 with its very sophisticated follow-focus ability, plus as a mirrorless there is no blackout which I hoped might make panning with tiny (mostly N-Gauge) engines more practical than in the past. Accordingly I shot almost everything panning to try to give a realistic illusion of extreme speed.

ImageAmtrak GE P42 "Genesis" locomotive no. 97, Phase IV livery c. 1997 by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Shutter priority, ƒ/5.6 49.0 mm 1/15 ISO 500 ("floating")

ImageWhat is a train show without Godzilla? by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Aperture priority, ƒ/5.6 43.0 mm 1/80 ISO 2000 ("floating")

ImageAndi rings the locomotive's Bell! by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Aperture priority, ƒ/5.6 35.0 mm 1/60 ISO 6400 ("floating")

ImageUnion Pacific streamliner E9 A no. 944 and E9 B no.953 c. 1954 by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Shutter priority, ƒ/5.6 42.0 mm 1/13 ISO 500 ("floating")

ImageDelaware and Hudson Montreal Limited ALCO PA-1 no. 16 and 18 c. 1968 by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Shutter priority, ƒ/4.0 21.0 mm 1/25 ISO 400 ("floating") (This big S-Gauge consist was really flying so I needed a higher shutter than I used on the little N-Gauge engines.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 am

model layouts are so very cool. I am envious of your trip! That girl is having a blast too.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:09 am

There is something magical about model railroads. As a kid, my brother had a friend whose dad was heavy into model RRing. Their whole entire basement was a full layout filled with (scale) miles of rail, bridges, tunnels, miniature houses and populated with all kinds of frozen denizens perpetually watching the trains go by. One wall was a mountain another a city and a third a rural landscape. The fourth was graciously left to the mom for the laundry (how nice of them, eh?). It was a magical place to hang out as several trains could be run at once without fear of collisions.

Looking at your photos brings me back in time to those summer days spent in that basement so for that, I thank you. I particularly LOVE the Godzilla pic. Great bit of humor.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Highly enjoyable series, Chuck! Love the panning and all the scenes. You've created a great deal of interest for me in the show and the hobby.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:54 am

What fun! A cool, colorful photo story. Best of all I love that first one, and of course the one with your Little One studying the display ever so carefully.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:28 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:27 am
model layouts are so very cool. I am envious of your trip! That girl is having a blast too.
Thank you, Piet! I really always enjoy going to these but I especially love photographing at them. And yeah, the kid had a blast!
Duck wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:09 am
There is something magical about model railroads. As a kid, my brother had a friend whose dad was heavy into model RRing. Their whole entire basement was a full layout filled with (scale) miles of rail, bridges, tunnels, miniature houses and populated with all kinds of frozen denizens perpetually watching the trains go by. One wall was a mountain another a city and a third a rural landscape. The fourth was graciously left to the mom for the laundry (how nice of them, eh?). It was a magical place to hang out as several trains could be run at once without fear of collisions.

Looking at your photos brings me back in time to those summer days spent in that basement so for that, I thank you. I particularly LOVE the Godzilla pic. Great bit of humor.
Thanks, Duck. Daphne was always somewhat frustrated that she never got the layout she always wanted, which sounds a lot like your friend's dad's. We got stuff ostensibly for Matt ;) but she always wanted trains and never really got them for lack of space. Every show we have ever been to has at least a Godzilla, and there was a returning layout at the Madison show that had all sorts of monsters in it. They had a theater that was showing King Kong. Guess who was on the roof of the theater? :D
LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 pm
Highly enjoyable series, Chuck! Love the panning and all the scenes. You've created a great deal of interest for me in the show and the hobby.
Thanks, Linda. Almost every year I tried some panning but the success rate was spotty. The A6000 has a better follow-focus system and made it easier, but I'm still learning where the pitfalls are, especially the DOF with the much larger sensor than I have ever had.
minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:54 am
What fun! A cool, colorful photo story. Best of all I love that first one, and of course the one with your Little One studying the display ever so carefully.
Thanks, Min. Andi had a lot of fun but she has a lot of fun pretty much anywhere. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:53 am

I love model trains, I think we all do so it's really fun to see these! Love the humor! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:53 am
I love model trains, I think we all do so it's really fun to see these! Love the humor! S-
Thanks, Steve. I can't imagine anyone actively disliking model trains but who knows? (?)