"You Are The Difference!"

― Transportation ShowcaseKalakala Mural in Shroud

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Kalakala Mural in Shroud

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:43 am

This mural is right outside my studio in downtown Port Angeleeeeeeees, WA It was the pride of the World's Fair in Seattle back in 1926. They were working on the roof of the old bank building that the mural is on.
Attachments
Kalakala.jpg
Kalakala.jpg (372.37 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:34 pm

And you have turned that street art into another kind of art by making such a wonderful image of it. The capture and processing gives the drapery folds and the round structure real depth and emphasizes the light the original artist tried to show. Fascinating. I'm intrigued with the whole idea of photographing existing art in a way that is artistic rather than documentary. That might deserve its own discussion post one of these days.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 pm

I had never heard of her so I looked her up. Now I am heartbroken. That mural is likely the only thing left of her but memories. She was magnificent, a sublime one-of-a-kind Art Deco apogee. She should be a museum ship. Instead she was scrapped. It's a wonderful picture you made, Ernst, but it's so sad the subject is gone. She was utterly unique.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:05 am

minniev wrote:And you have turned that street art into another kind of art by making such a wonderful image of it. The capture and processing gives the drapery folds and the round structure real depth and emphasizes the light the original artist tried to show. Fascinating. I'm intrigued with the whole idea of photographing existing art in a way that is artistic rather than documentary. That might deserve its own discussion post one of these days.

I was thinking the same! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"