“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseIllinois Central 2-8-2 Mikado no. 1518 (1923), Paducah, Kentucky

Vehicles of any type. If it travels from one place to another it's fair game.
- Planes, trains and automobiles... trucks, boats, gliders, motorbikes, etc.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Illinois Central 2-8-2 Mikado no. 1518 (1923), Paducah, Kentucky

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu May 11, 2017 2:09 pm

This is yet another rework of an older picture (jpeg) originally made in 2011. The Illinois Central had maintenance shops in Paducah, Kentucky. Right by the flood wall on static display is Illinois Central 2-8-2 "Mikado", number 1518; she’s pretty rusty, not as well maintained as any buff would like to see, but not in a shed or behind a fence either, which makes her accessible for pictures, which is becoming increasingly rare. I was actually somewhat surprised that she still has her light, number boards and bell since she is unprotected. 1516 was built by Lima Locomotive Works in 1923, but a website notes that the squared-off sand dome (at the center of the top of the boiler) is a distinguishing feature of "Paducah built" locomotives of the I.C.R.R.

The 2-8-2 wheel arrangement (2 wheels on the pilot truck, 8 coupled drivers, and 2 on the trailing truck that supports the firebox) became known as "Mikado," or "Mike" in the U.S. The nickname originated from a group of Japanese type 9700 2-8-2 locomotives that were built by Baldwin Locomotive Works for the 3 ft. 6 in. gauge Nippon Railway of Japan in 1897. In the 19th century, the Emperor of Japan was often referred to as "the Mikado" in English. Also, the Gilbert and Sullivan opera The Mikado had premiered in 1885 and achieved great popularity in both Britain and America. (Adapted from Wikipedia)

Nikon P7000, ƒ/6.3, 13.0 mm, 1/320 sec @ ISO 200
DSCN0075.EM.jpg
DSCN0087.EM.jpg
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Illinois Central 2-8-2 Mikado no. 1518 (1923), Paducah, Kentucky

Postby Didereaux » Thu May 11, 2017 2:55 pm

more ChooChoo's YAAAAAYYY! ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Fri May 12, 2017 2:05 am

That's a couple of very nice engines, Chuck, well captured at nice angles. I did not realize you were so train-smart! I'm impressed.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

minniev wrote:That's a couple of very nice engines, Chuck, well captured at nice angles. I did not realize you were so train-smart! I'm impressed.

Thanks, Min! Daphne and I were both train buffs, not enough to chase legacy engines around the country, but enough to visit every railroad museum we came across. A few years ago we went to National Train Day, an actual thing held in various cities across the country. It's actually tomorrow! We went to the one in Chicago in 2012 and got to ride an Amtrak excursion train. I became sufficiently interested, especially in steam to be able to identify the various wheel patterns (the Whyte notation system), but mostly I look stuff up in Wikipedia. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 8:49 am

Although I'd rather see the old girl out working coming around some mountain corner I'm happy to see her here and in good condition. I think to the drab sky adds to her fate and works well with the image. I might have cropped a little off the right but it's always a photographers choice!

Thank you for posting here, and more trains please! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat May 13, 2017 12:05 pm

St3v3M wrote:Although I'd rather see the old girl out working coming around some mountain corner I'm happy to see her here and in good condition. I think to the drab sky adds to her fate and works well with the image. I might have cropped a little off the right but it's always a photographers choice!

Thank you for posting here, and more trains please! S-

Thanks, Steve. I've got trains up the yinyang. As to that crop, if you mean the oncoming one with cars, I did crop that because the train is actually very short, but I wanted to imply that there was much more behind the red (I think that's a caboose but it also was not the last, there is one more back there). I read somewhere once that if you crop through something "entering the frame" there is a tendency of the part of the viewer to imagine there is "more where that came from." I did it with that sculpture of the runners by cropping through the last one. Looking at the train again I suppose I could have achieved the "illusion" by just cropping tighter, into the mail car. Next time! :D

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:]Thank you for posting here, and more trains please! S-

Thanks, Steve. I've got trains up the yinyang. As to that crop, if you mean the oncoming one with cars, I did crop that because the train is actually very short, but I wanted to imply that there was much more behind the red (I think that's a caboose but it also was not the last, there is one more back there). I read somewhere once that if you crop through something "entering the frame" there is a tendency of the part of the viewer to imagine there is "more where that came from." I did it with that sculpture of the runners by cropping through the last one. Looking at the train again I suppose I could have achieved the "illusion" by just cropping tighter, into the mail car. Next time! :D[/quote]
Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Transportation”