Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Transportation ShowcaseUNION PACIFIC "BIG BOY" 4014 at Columbus, Nebraska

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

UNION PACIFIC "BIG BOY" 4014 at Columbus, Nebraska

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Union Pacific Railroad's flagship legacy steam engine, one of only 8 survivors out of 25, and the only one restored to running condition, as of May, 2019. This was her first run out on the mainline, for the 150th of the Golden Spike. She was in fine fettle.

She stopped in Omaha but I didn't want to go because I knew it would be an absolute scrum of elbow-to-elbow railfans all over the engine and in all the good shot spots. So I craftily looked at her schedule and consulted Giggle Earth to maybe find a spot where she'd be less mobbed, plus maybe by satellite I could see a place out on the mainline where I could get her coming out on an inside curve. I researched the whole thing online, drove up there early on August 5, and found everything like I'd planned. Take that, Von Clausewitz (plans never survive first contact &c). :lol:
DSC06169.FLICKR.jpg
She got her nickname thanks to a worker chalking "Big Boy" on the prototype's smokebox cover. She was supposed to be <I>Wasatch.</i>
DSC06170-2.FLICKR.jpg
Just as she rolled in to Columbus, I got her before she was mobbed. Those clouds are the Real Deal, but special ordered at slight extra cost.
DSC06204.FLICKR.jpg
This was the money shot, the one I planned for and hoped I could get.
The full set is on Flick, if you'd like to see, including screen shots of my virtual scouting expeditiion.

The Union Pacific Big Boy is a type of simple articulated 4-8-8-4 steam locomotive manufactured by the American Locomotive Company between 1941 and 1944 and operated by the Union Pacific Railroad in revenue service until 1959.

The 25 Big Boy locomotives were built to haul freight over the Wasatch mountains between Ogden, Utah, and Green River, Wyoming. In the late 1940s, they were reassigned to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where they hauled freight over Sherman Hill to Laramie, Wyoming. They were the only locomotives to use a 4-8-8-4 wheel arrangement: four-wheel leading truck for stability entering curves, two sets of eight driving wheels and a four-wheel trailing truck to support the large firebox.

Eight Big Boys survive today, most on static display at museums across the country. One locomotive was re-acquired by the Union Pacific in 2013 to be restored to operating condition. The locomotive’s restoration was completed in May 2019 and made its first runs since 1959 that same month, allowing it to regain the title as the largest and most powerful operating steam locomotive in the world.

--Wikipedia
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm

man what a loco - I think it deserves every letter of it's name. These are nice shots Chuck, you did BigBoy justice.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm
man what a loco - I think it deserves every letter of it's name. These are nice shots Chuck, you did BigBoy justice.
Thank you, Piet. I'm not even a "real" railfan, chasing great legacy engines around the country (maybe they sell the pictures?). I met a bunch of them though and they are great, very courteous and accommodating (I'm not in your frame, am I? NO, am I in yours? NO...) :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Wonderful images and your pros to be envied...well done Chuck

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:03 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:34 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:49 pm
Thank you, Piet. I'm not even a "real" railfan, chasing great legacy engines around the country (maybe they sell the pictures?). I met a bunch of them though and they are great, very courteous and accommodating (I'm not in your frame, am I? NO, am I in yours? NO...) :)
Yes!!! We are in the same FRAME!! We are both LOCO.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:32 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 pm
Union Pacific Railroad's flagship legacy steam engine, one of only 8 survivors out of 25, and the only one restored to running condition, as of May, 2019. This was her first run out on the mainline, for the 150th of the Golden Spike. She was in fine fettle.

She stopped in Omaha but I didn't want to go because I knew it would be an absolute scrum of elbow-to-elbow railfans all over the engine and in all the good shot spots. So I craftily looked at her schedule and consulted Giggle Earth to maybe find a spot where she'd be less mobbed, plus maybe by satellite I could see a place out on the mainline where I could get her coming out on an inside curve. I researched the whole thing online, drove up there early on August 5, and found everything like I'd planned. Take that, Von Clausewitz (plans never survive first contact &c). :lol:

DSC06169.FLICKR.jpg
DSC06170-2.FLICKR.jpg
DSC06204.FLICKR.jpg

The full set is on Flick, if you'd like to see, including screen shots of my virtual scouting expeditiion.

The Union Pacific Big Boy is a type of simple articulated 4-8-8-4 steam locomotive manufactured by the American Locomotive Company between 1941 and 1944 and operated by the Union Pacific Railroad in revenue service until 1959.

The 25 Big Boy locomotives were built to haul freight over the Wasatch mountains between Ogden, Utah, and Green River, Wyoming. In the late 1940s, they were reassigned to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where they hauled freight over Sherman Hill to Laramie, Wyoming. They were the only locomotives to use a 4-8-8-4 wheel arrangement: four-wheel leading truck for stability entering curves, two sets of eight driving wheels and a four-wheel trailing truck to support the large firebox.

Eight Big Boys survive today, most on static display at museums across the country. One locomotive was re-acquired by the Union Pacific in 2013 to be restored to operating condition. The locomotive’s restoration was completed in May 2019 and made its first runs since 1959 that same month, allowing it to regain the title as the largest and most powerful operating steam locomotive in the world.

--Wikipedia
Very nice set Chuck, well composed and full of zip. Love that last one with its terrific curve of track and all the detail in the engine and the cars. Trains are so fun to shoot, and there’s so many ways to edit them. You could do a ton of fun things with these excellent shots, but the set stands well on its own, as presented.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Stunning train images Chuck !!! Love ole' locomotives. To see, hear and photograph one is a great opportunity. Very well done !!!
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:42 am

Chuck, I accidentally came across this youtube video and it reminded me of this post. Thought you would be interested, but then again, you've probably already seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuJPVhtQFeQ
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey