The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Transportation ShowcaseBoats Four

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Boats Four

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:01 pm

I had occasion to rework some archived shots on the theme of transportation. These are fresh reworks in Lightroom using the latest skills I have. One thing I notice (and it's a little frustrating) is that unless I PP-d it in the last couple of months or so I am very apt to want to redo the picture 'cuz I kin do it better. And better. At least I hope it's better... ;) (?) (N)
Attachments
DSC00060.LCC.jpg
Colsac III, Merrimac Cable Ferry on Lake Wisconsin, last free ferry left on the Wisconsin State Trunk Highway System.
DSCN1432-2.LCC.jpg
Steam Riverboat American Queen (1995), largest steam riverboat ever built, at Red Wing, MN on the Mississippi (This was made handheld with a tiny Nikon P6000 that did not output raw files)
DSCN5650.LCC.jpg
SS Meteor (1896), Last Surviving "Whaleback" Laker, at Superior, WI on Lake Superior. A whaleback was a type of cargo steamship of unusual design, with a hull that continuously curved above the waterline from vertical to horizontal. When fully loaded, only the rounded portion of the hull (the "whaleback" proper) could be seen above the waterline. With sides curved in towards the ends, it had a spoon bow and a very convex upper deck. It was formerly used on the Great Lakes of Canada and the United States, notably for carrying grain or ore. The hatches were narrow owing to the curvature of the hull which eventually rendered them obsolete. Only 44 were built.
DSCN5595-Edit.2016.LCC.jpg
SS American Spirit, 1,000 foot laker, Lake Superior, backing out of the ore docks at Agate Bay, Two Harbors MN. (Full disclosure: that skiff with the fisherfellas was not in the original picture. It was in another frame of the same series but the composition on that one was not exactly the way I wanted, with the second 1,000-footer (Presque Isle) incoming, so I lifted the boat and it's wake from the other pitcher and stuck it in this one.) :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm

good ones, never saw a whaleback before - I bet they are something loaded and in a storm..

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:32 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:12 pm
good ones, never saw a whaleback before - I bet they are something loaded and in a storm..
I think part of the reasoning behind the design was to weather storms better than slab-sided boats. Wikipedia has a detailed article on them. Fully loaded they presented very little resistance to waves that washed right over, intentionally. But they had some flaws, chief of which were the hatches. On any ship the scuttles must be absolutely watertight (the reason El Faro was recently lost with 39 hands was a bad leak in a bent hatch that caused her to take water that was not noticed until too late). The whole idea of the whaleback was to shed water over the deck, but the camber made the hatch covers very susceptible to bending and other damage that could cause them to leak, which apparently they did. Also, because of their deliberately low profile, rather like a surfaced submarine, they were prone to being rammed by other boats that did not see them in time, even in good weather. The hatches were what did them in, mainly because the curves of the hull made them inherently narrow, and that interfered with loading and unloading. Anything that slows a working boat down is bad. But it was an interesting idea. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:11 pm

if warming/unpredictable weather patterns continue, perhaps we will see a comeback to these submarine styled ships. One would think that with new technology and materials, an exoskeleton like a whale and better engineered hatches will do the trick - assuming of course that this transportation type infrastructure is invested in. probably not, why build a complex shape when a simple floating coffin (like your last) is cheaper.

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:15 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:01 pm
I had occasion to rework some archived shots on the theme of transportation. These are fresh reworks in Lightroom using the latest skills I have. One thing I notice (and it's a little frustrating) is that unless I PP-d it in the last couple of months or so I am very apt to want to redo the picture 'cuz I kin do it better. And better. At least I hope it's better... ;) (?) (N)
Great boat series. I love that paddleboat!

You too? I am a processing addict, I confess. There is no end to how many hours I can entertain myself playing with photos with different kinds of processing from very straightforward to very creative, color to black and white or toned, There just is no end to the fun of it.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Excellent series Chuck !!! Love the riverboat. Cincinnati use to have a Tall Stacks event ever so often. We would attend to observe all the various riverboats along with popular known name music artist, such as BB King prior to his passing. The most great part was, it was FREE.

Tall Stacks, formally known as the Tall Stacks Music, Arts, and Heritage Festival, is a festival held every three or four years in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, which celebrates the city's heritage of the riverboat. The sixth (and, to date final) edition was held on October 4 through October 8, 2006.
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:18 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:15 pm
Great boat series. I love that paddleboat!

You too? I am a processing addict, I confess. There is no end to how many hours I can entertain myself playing with photos with different kinds of processing from very straightforward to very creative, color to black and white or toned, There just is no end to the fun of it.
You, Min, are very creative. I'm still stuck 40 years in the past, doggedly pursuing "print quality." Every so often I try one of the onboard effects in Photoshop, maybe make a B&W conversion, flip something to a negative, but most of the time all I really want is the highest achievable quality at my current state of skill. :oops: (N)
davechinn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Excellent series Chuck !!! Love the riverboat. Cincinnati use to have a Tall Stacks event ever so often. We would attend to observe all the various riverboats along with popular known name music artist, such as BB King prior to his passing. The most great part was, it was FREE.

Tall Stacks, formally known as the Tall Stacks Music, Arts, and Heritage Festival, is a festival held every three or four years in the Cincinnati, Ohio area, which celebrates the city's heritage of the riverboat. The sixth (and, to date final) edition was held on October 4 through October 8, 2006.
I lurves that riverboat too. She is still out there cruisin'! Daphne always had a yen to take one of those long Mississippi cruises but they are $$$pendy. :S But in 2004 she got to ride The Spirit of Peoria from Dubuque up to Cassville, Wisconsin during the replay of the Grand Excursion of 1854. For the rest of her life she kept bugging various folks to do it again but I guess it was just too expensive. She loved it SO very much! I was shooting film at the time so goodness only knows where those pictures went... :( If they haven't had Tall Stacks on the Ohio in that long it's probably due to the expense of gathering all those boats. Maybe they can't make it back in ticket sales. (?)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:45 am

I learned something new today and love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"