"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Member's Showcase1950-51 Ford Crestliner

Vehicles of any type. If it travels from one place to another it's fair game.
- Planes, trains and automobiles... trucks, boats, gliders, motorbikes, etc.
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

1950-51 Ford Crestliner

Postby Ceropegia » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:38 pm

At a car show at First Friday in Gadsden, Alabama. Not sure of the year - I think the grill is 1950, but the side panels seem to be 1951.

1950-51 Ford Crestliner par Ceropegia, on ipernity

1950-51 Ford Crestliner par Ceropegia, on ipernity

Hood Ornament par Ceropegia, on ipernity
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 1950-51 Ford Crestliner

Postby St3v3M » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:26 pm

Such classics with beautiful strong lines. Thank you for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:58 am

Love the old ones!
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Jonsommer
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Jonsommer » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:31 pm

My father bought one similar to this one, I think it was a 1950 model, dark blue in color. After immigrating to the U.S from Norway after WWII, this was his first major purchase. I saw a lot of the U.S. looking out the left side back window. I have lots of emotional memories associated with this car, one of which is the thick, clear plastic seat covers my father bought at PepBoys (to help protect the seats for the next owner) and how miserable they were to sit on in a Southern California summer with no air conditioning, and once out of the car everyone's shirts or blouses were wet where they had made contact with the seat covers. I recall my father complaining about lousy brakes and a soft suspension. I also remember remember that on hot days the car had a tendency to overheat and the radiator would boil over, we had to pull over, wait until the engine had cooled down, add more water (pre anti-freeze and coolent era), and keep going. I remember on one summer trip up the 101, on a long climb just north of San Louis Obispo, that we had to pull over along with about 50 others that were suffering the same fate.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:49 pm

Jonsommer wrote:My father bought one similar to this one, I think it was a 1950 model, dark blue in color. After immigrating to the U.S from Norway after WWII, this was his first major purchase. I saw a lot of the U.S. looking out the left side back window. I have lots of emotional memories associated with this car, one of which is the thick, clear plastic seat covers my father bought at PepBoys (to help protect the seats for the next owner) and how miserable they were to sit on in a Southern California summer with no air conditioning, and once out of the car everyone's shirts or blouses were wet where they had made contact with the seat covers. I recall my father complaining about lousy brakes and a soft suspension. I also remember remember that on hot days the car had a tendency to overheat and the radiator would boil over, we had to pull over, wait until the engine had cooled down, add more water (pre anti-freeze and coolent era), and keep going. I remember on one summer trip up the 101, on a long climb just north of San Louis Obispo, that we had to pull over along with about 50 others that were suffering the same fate.

Loved reading this! I remember when we drove out west in the desert when I was a child that we we hung a burlap water bag in front of the radiator to have cool water to add when the car overheated which seemed to happen on long steep inclines..
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:10 pm

Gotta love the old cars, even with their quirks.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Return to “Transportation”