"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals ShowcaseFlying With Prize

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Flying With Prize

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:14 am

All feedback appreciated, edits are fine. Fishing is good right now, so quite a few birds are appearing in the viewfinder with their meals in their mouths.
Attachments
withfish2 (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Flying With Prize

Postby Ceropegia » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:07 pm

Looks like another dam bird and a d..n fine one at that! Seriously, its a real beauty (and catch). I really like the roiling water.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Looks like another dam bird and a d..n fine one at that! Seriously, its a real beauty (and catch). I really like the roiling water.

Me too! I also love the color. It would probably work in B&W but it's almost monochrome anyway. The water looks unreal thanks to the suds so it looks painted in. In fact the whole picture has the sense of being a painting rather than a photograph. It also has texture. I feel as if I can reach out and touch the surface and it will be bumpy. Just a terrific shot! :love:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Looks like another dam bird and a d..n fine one at that! Seriously, its a real beauty (and catch). I really like the roiling water.

Indeed another dam bird, and I seem to be shooting nothing else these days since I'm trying to work this project and fumbling my way through.

Thank you for your comments, and I hope I don't run everyone away with these critters.

The water comes out churned into froth by the force of its own volume, so it looks like beaten egg whites right now.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:

Me too! I also love the color. It would probably work in B&W but it's almost monochrome anyway. The water looks unreal thanks to the suds so it looks painted in. In fact the whole picture has the sense of being a painting rather than a photograph. It also has texture. I feel as if I can reach out and touch the surface and it will be bumpy. Just a terrific shot! :love:

Thanks Chuck, and it is encouraging that you find it "painterly" since I'm trying for that look. There are plenty of great wildlife and bird photographers who produce far more wonderfully detailed images than I ever could. So by choosing to shoot and process these more as artistic renditions was a conscious plan, though one I have no way to guess the success of at this point.

I use layers of the same image processed with high tonal contrast alternated with layers processed with glow or blur effects, often add a texture layer and fiddle with blending modes and masks till I get the effect I want. No two are exactly the same, but they follow a similar formula.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:18 am

minniev wrote:All feedback appreciated, edits are fine. Fishing is good right now, so quite a few birds are appearing in the viewfinder with their meals in their mouths.

Leave this one as-is! It's wonderful!

As a side, I thought these were stand-and-hunt eaters, not those that liked fast food. Wow, they look graceful when they fly! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:30 am

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:All feedback appreciated, edits are fine. Fishing is good right now, so quite a few birds are appearing in the viewfinder with their meals in their mouths.

Leave this one as-is! It's wonderful!

As a side, I thought these were stand-and-hunt eaters, not those that liked fast food. Wow, they look graceful when they fly! S-

Glad ya liked it! The egrets do more fly-and-dive than the herons, but both will fish from perch or sky. They both like the ease of fishing from a nice perch near the runoff, when they can basically select their meal off the moving buffet line.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:35 am

minniev wrote:Glad ya liked it! The egrets do more fly-and-dive than the herons, but both will fish from perch or sky. They both like the ease of fishing from a nice perch near the runoff, when they can basically select their meal off the moving buffet line.

Neat! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Animals Showcase”