"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseThe eaglets this morning

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The eaglets this morning

Postby LindaShorey » Tue May 30, 2017 7:32 pm

My fifth summer photographing this nesting pair, and it's just as exciting now as ever. Can't believe how the young'uns are growing!

1. Digital zoom 2x with additional cropping, editing.
2. Digital zoom 2x, no cropping, but with further editing. Under-exposed so I wouldn't blow out the whites.
3. From raw, no cropping. Over-exposed by 1.5 stops by accident. Doesn't seem any worse for wear :)

Olympus mirrorless EM10 Mark II, Olympus 75-300 lens.
Attachments
P5300015 fm jpg edit.jpg
1 P5300055 fm jpg.jpg
1 P5300065.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: The eaglets this morning

Postby minniev » Tue May 30, 2017 8:16 pm

Nice catches of your eagle family, regardless of what kind of zoom and processing you used!

The babies are adorable and the adults are appropriately regal.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:40 pm

I'll give you A plus for these.
You would never know that what you took is not how you saw it in the frame.
2nd pic looks as if it was in the late afternoon with warm yellow light. Delightful.
What also interests me. Is you like to experiment ( play ) with your settings. Yes all cameras work under the same law of physics, but to get to know YOUR camera. There is nothing better than to PLAY.
Did you use a tripod or hand held?
Have fun;
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed May 31, 2017 1:37 am

Thank you Minnie and Ed!

Ed, I haven't used a tripod for several years. And back then it was only to catch full moonrise near sunset. The one time I used a tripod at the eagle nest was the ONLY time a parent flew from the nest to the near shore of the river that separated us. I struggled to get my camera off the tripod, my dog slipped out of her harness (road kill or eagle kill...as she's only 12 pounds), and I vowed never to use a tripod on critter photos again :)

I used a Canon T3i for 4+ years, but I've only had this Olympus for a bit over a month so still learning. After posting this topic I decided to edit the raw which was original focal length and then crop it to match the 2x digital zoom. I'm not particularly proficient with pp but was pleased with the result considering the big crop needed to compare:
Attachments
P5300055 fm dng crop more adj.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:33 am

LindaShorey wrote:My fifth summer photographing this nesting pair, and it's just as exciting now as ever. Can't believe how the young'uns are growing!

2. Digital zoom 2x, no cropping, but with further editing. Under-exposed so I wouldn't blow out the whites.
3. From raw, no cropping. Over-exposed by 1.5 stops by accident. Doesn't seem any worse for wear :)

I love these and am wondering when I'll see the second and third on a calendar cover! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:13 pm

St3v3M wrote:I love these and am wondering when I'll see the second and third on a calendar cover! S-

Thank you Steve! I'm delighted you enjoyed. When you give up your day job and become my business manager, we can proceed with that calendar :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:28 am

LindaShorey wrote:
St3v3M wrote:I love these and am wondering when I'll see the second and third on a calendar cover! S-

... When you give up your day job and become my business manager, we can proceed with that calendar :)

Yea! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Stan Goldstein
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Postby Stan Goldstein » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm

LindaShorey— NICE WORK! We don't have eagles where I live (except in the zoo). I'm a bit jealous.

davechinn
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby davechinn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 am

LindaShorey wrote:My fifth summer photographing this nesting pair, and it's just as exciting now as ever. Can't believe how the young'uns are growing!

Absolutely outstanding Linda !!! I'm especially amazed by the last one. In most cases, (not all) I find that the sky is blown out and white, where this one the sky has color, which really draws the viewer to focus in on the eagle. All of these are crisp sharp, IMO. I too, am jealous. I have been wanting shots of a bald eagle in the wild for years. The zoo is my only opportunity and while I hardly ever go there, thats not much an option, and when I do attend, I find myself at the gorilla exhibit. Thanks for sharing this magnificent series.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Stan and Dave, thank you so much for your terrific comments! I try to be thankful every day for the variety of both wildlife and landscapes I have within easy drives of home.

Dave, I was amazed at how much detail I pulled from that over-exposed shot. Bet Uuglypher isn't since he's a strong proponent of expose to (or beyond) the right :) I have since "fixed" the camera to show me the actual exposure in the viewfinder (and LCD) - one of the many advantages to a mirrorless camera IMO. Also, for that shot, I had stopped the car in middle of road, oops. #2 is same bird, same tree, but I was zooming in from distance while walking along the shoulder after having photo'd the nest.

Return to “Birds”