“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseThe First Dam Bird

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The First Dam Bird

Postby minniev » Mon May 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Since I didn't know all of you when I started the dam bird project last winter, I thought I'd share the birth of the project with you. I was at the local reservoir shooting the migratory white pelicans on a cold windy day. It began to rain too hard to work outdoors so I packed up and went to the truck. As I was driving away I spotted something white beneath the shoulder of the dam, down in the gloom, and stopped to see if it was a pelican. No, it was an egret, standing in a dull light beam that is common under the dam because of the grates and gates that are constantly being opened and shifted. I snapped off a couple of shots through the window and forgot them until I downloaded my pelicans. I was hooked. They weren't great images, but they had something my pictures don't often have - mystery. I posted it with no explanation on my other forum, and got lots of encouragement to pursue this further. One friend named it Stairway To Heaven. The birds have been the most fun photo project I've ever undertaken.
odb (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: The First Dam Bird

Postby St3v3M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:04 pm

minniev wrote:Since I didn't know all of you when I started the dam bird project last winter, I thought I'd share the birth of the project with you. I was at the local reservoir shooting the migratory white pelicans on a cold windy day. It began to rain too hard to work outdoors so I packed up and went to the truck. As I was driving away I spotted something white beneath the shoulder of the dam, down in the gloom, and stopped to see if it was a pelican. No, it was an egret, standing in a dull light beam that is common under the dam because of the grates and gates that are constantly being opened and shifted. I snapped off a couple of shots through the window and forgot them until I downloaded my pelicans. I was hooked. They weren't great images, but they had something my pictures don't often have - mystery. I posted it with no explanation on my other forum, and got lots of encouragement to pursue this further. One friend named it Stairway To Heaven. The birds have been the most fun photo project I've ever undertaken.

The characters were there waiting for you and like any great story, it's how you tell the story that makes this something we want to see more of.

How blessed you are to have found your muse and be able to turn it into a passion project and how blessed we are to have you share this with us, especially the backstory which gives us a glimpse into the beginnings of this amazing project. Even now it's obvious where this is going.

Thank you for sharing this with us and please keep us with you as your journey continues! What an amazing blessing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Birds”