"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Animals ShowcaseBackyard Raptors 3

Images containing animals of any type; mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Backyard Raptors 3

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Adult Cooper's Hawk. Hard to tell from a Sharp-shinned except that the Cooper's is slightly larger, the dark cap does not extend down the nape of the neck, the feet and talons are thicker and coarser, the tail is slightly rounded, and the eyes are set slightly forward in a more blocky skull. Colors are identical in both species. The Sharpie specializes i smaller songbirds while the Cooper's prefers the larger ones.

web7D2-6052 edit.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: Backyard Raptors 3

Postby St3v3M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:10 am

Didereaux wrote:Adult Cooper's Hawk. Hard to tell from a Sharp-shinned except that the Cooper's is slightly larger, the dark cap does not extend down the nape of the neck, the feet and talons are thicker and coarser, the tail is slightly rounded, and the eyes are set slightly forward in a more blocky skull. Colors are identical in both species. The Sharpie specializes i smaller songbirds while the Cooper's prefers the larger ones.

web7D2-6052 edit.jpg

I'm in love with this image every way there is, the color, sharpness, pose, background, and that stare! Love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am

St3v3M wrote:
Didereaux wrote:Adult Cooper's Hawk. Hard to tell from a Sharp-shinned except that the Cooper's is slightly larger, the dark cap does not extend down the nape of the neck, the feet and talons are thicker and coarser, the tail is slightly rounded, and the eyes are set slightly forward in a more blocky skull. Colors are identical in both species. The Sharpie specializes i smaller songbirds while the Cooper's prefers the larger ones.

web7D2-6052 edit.jpg

I'm in love with this image every way there is, the color, sharpness, pose, background, and that stare! Love it! S-

thank you
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Terrific picture! Gaw-juss bird! :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “Animals Showcase”