“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseSandhill Cranes on a dark Xmas morning

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Sandhill Cranes on a dark Xmas morning

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Taken last Christmas just after dawn, fairly heavy overcast. The 2d is the original unaltered RAW file (except for being converted to jpeg) Settings detail is printed on that file. The first was WB corrected, lens corrected, cropped, dynamic range adj, slightly sharpened using PSE high pass and LR6, noise somewhat reduced ~15-20% level, and saturation brought up maybe +10-15 in LR. I believe that is all I did to this. Handheld and as you can see even at 600mm(900 equiv) they were a ways out.

Probably one of my top five critters to watch and try to photograph. Born and raised to teen-hood in Nebraska and never got to see the full half million or so flock during the migration, just scattered small flocks that would scatter out to the outlying corn stubble fields 10-20 miles away from the Platte river. Maybe as an old timer I might make it back in the Spring to see them.

1. PP'ed
web7D2-5311.jpg

2. orig RAW conv to jpeg.
270A5311_origRAW.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Re: Sandhill Cranes on a dark Xmas morning

Postby minniev » Mon May 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Very nice grouping and you've used your processing to bring out more color than the camera pretended to show. They are beautiful birds, and I'm still chasing my first ones.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 pm

minniev wrote:Very nice grouping and you've used your processing to bring out more color than the camera pretended to show. They are beautiful birds, and I'm still chasing my first ones.

That color, the reddish/orange is from them rubbing the red clays into their feathers. I just learned this a while back from one of the univ ornithologists. They believe the birds do it as ornamentation. Nothing like a big gangly squawking narcissistic bird! :rofl:

...but I suspect it is done for the same reason that kids have their names written on their underwear bands...so they can remember who they are! ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:18 am

Didereaux wrote:Taken last Christmas just after dawn, fairly heavy overcast. The 2d is the original unaltered RAW file (except for being converted to jpeg) Settings detail is printed on that file. The first was WB corrected, lens corrected, cropped, dynamic range adj, slightly sharpened using PSE high pass and LR6, noise somewhat reduced ~15-20% level, and saturation brought up maybe +10-15 in LR. I believe that is all I did to this. Handheld and as you can see even at 600mm(900 equiv) they were a ways out.

I like this image for what it is and love the slightly blurred effect. I pray you see the full migration soon! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Birds”