“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseGreat Egret

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Great Egret

Postby Ceropegia » Sun May 21, 2017 3:26 pm

At the James D. Martin Wildlife Park, a Gadsden, Alabama city park that is a wetland backwater of the Coosa River formed at the mouth of Black Creek from the impoundment of the Coosa by an Alabama Power Company Dam. I was very surprised this shot turned out. I did not realize the camera was set on macro. Seems like the camera somehow ignores the macro setting when zooming at far away things. Lucky for me because I took many shots that day before I realized the camera was set to macro.
Attachments
IMG_6229asx.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Great Egret

Postby Charles Haacker » Sun May 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Ceropegia wrote: ... I was very surprised this shot turned out. I did not realize the camera was set on macro. Seems like the camera somehow ignores the macro setting when zooming at far away things. Lucky for me because I took many shots that day before I realized the camera was set to macro.

It's a beautiful shot, well composed, and the setting really makes it. I've noticed that macro thing on other cameras, and I think you're right, it doesn't seem to matter. I discovered early that I could put any of my compact cameras in macro and zoom to longer focal lengths for better perspective. You can't get as close but you get better perspective and bokeh. I'm not even sure why some of them have a macro setting. My Sony RX-10 does not have one. It's just in "macro" all the time, at any focal length. It is SO irritating that there are settings on cameras that can mess up a shot, but fortunately this seems not to be one of them.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Sun May 21, 2017 4:22 pm

It's possible you could have gotten a bit sharper focus in normal mode, but it's certainly nice the day wasn't lost. My new mirrorless cameras seem especially prone to my inadvertently hitting the wheels for aperture and shutter speed, so I try to remember to check every few minutes :)

Your egret shot is a lovely contrast between delicate beauty and rough environment. And a study in concentration as well!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sun May 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Well done. That is how I like to take the brd & critter shots....with a good view of the environment that they are in.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:13 am

Ceropegia wrote:At the James D. Martin Wildlife Park, a Gadsden, Alabama city park that is a wetland backwater of the Coosa River formed at the mouth of Black Creek from the impoundment of the Coosa by an Alabama Power Company Dam. I was very surprised this shot turned out. I did not realize the camera was set on macro. Seems like the camera somehow ignores the macro setting when zooming at far away things. Lucky for me because I took many shots that day before I realized the camera was set to macro.

This was an amazing save and it looks like you were there for the action. Thank you for sharing this with us! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Birds”