“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseHigh key Morning Launch

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

High key Morning Launch

Postby Didereaux » Sat May 20, 2017 8:14 pm

Done the other morning with the previously posted rookery shots. Practicing trying to minimize movement except wings. This wasn't too bad I though. Have a few more, and if one is better I will post it. Minimal post. Some noise. maximized dynamic range, slight sharpening.

Canon 7Dmkii 1/80 F6.3 ISO640 handheld @ ~700mm

web7D2-8079.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Re: High key Morning Launch

Postby pop511 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 pm

Considering your camera settings you did well, especially hand held.
Although many lenses have vibration senses, some up to 2 stops.
The standard shutter speed is 1X focal length. So in your case at 700mm it is 700/sec.
I can do that with my right hand..It is the one that holds the beer...left hand no good :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ed davis

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sun May 21, 2017 1:07 am

pop511 wrote:Considering your camera settings you did well, especially hand held.
Although many lenses have vibration senses, some up to 2 stops.
The standard shutter speed is 1X focal length. So in your case at 700mm it is 700/sec.
I can do that with my right hand..It is the one that holds the beer...left hand no good :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pure dammed luck on my party shake coincided with his jerks. ;) I normally never shoot that lens(Sigma 150-600C) under 1/1000 even though it does have an excellent IS. I used those settings playing around with 'artistic' blur shots...I should never be allowed to watch Art Morris and Denise Ippolito their goofiness is catching. ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 22, 2017 5:37 am

Didereaux wrote:Done the other morning with the previously posted rookery shots. Practicing trying to minimize movement except wings. This wasn't too bad I though. Have a few more, and if one is better I will post it. Minimal post. Some noise. maximized dynamic range, slight sharpening.

With everything else sharp where it should be, I thought you had added a painter effect to the wings and was impressed. Now I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with that you captured the moment or that you shot that cannon handheld!

Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm beginning to think the egrets are posing for you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Didereaux wrote:Done the other morning with the previously posted rookery shots. Practicing trying to minimize movement except wings. This wasn't too bad I though. Have a few more, and if one is better I will post it. Minimal post. Some noise. maximized dynamic range, slight sharpening.

With everything else sharp where it should be, I thought you had added a painter effect to the wings and was impressed. Now I'm not sure what I'm more impressed with that you captured the moment or that you shot that cannon handheld!

Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm beginning to think the egrets are posing for you! S-

:rofl: :rofl: They did put on quite a show that morning, anyone with a Kodak Brownie could have come away with some great shots. As I said this shot was pure-double-D luck...my shake, and his jitters coincided for a split second and my finger just happened to be pushing down when it happened. Wish I could take more credit, but dems da facts! A sfor handholding cannons really this isn't to bad to operate with, certainly much easier than say a 500mm f4 prime or other such monster. An acquaintance of mine shoots one regularly and is gaining quite a name for himself nationally for his series on Ospreys and a continuing story of a family of Red-tailed HAwks. Here is a link to his FlickR albums Kristopher Rowe albums

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 am

Didereaux wrote::rofl: :rofl: They did put on quite a show that morning, anyone with a Kodak Brownie could have come away with some great shots. As I said this shot was pure-double-D luck...my shake, and his jitters coincided for a split second and my finger just happened to be pushing down when it happened. Wish I could take more credit, but dems da facts! A sfor handholding cannons really this isn't to bad to operate with, certainly much easier than say a 500mm f4 prime or other such monster. An acquaintance of mine shoots one regularly and is gaining quite a name for himself nationally for his series on Ospreys and a continuing story of a family of Red-tailed HAwks. Here is a link to his FlickR albums Kristopher Rowe albums

Kristopher's work is worth looking at. Thank you for another quality link. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Birds”