"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseDawn at the Rookery(2017)-4 Unlucky Roseatte Spoonbill

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Dawn at the Rookery(2017)-4 Unlucky Roseatte Spoonbill

Postby Didereaux » Tue May 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Don't know this for certain, but I think I a correct. All but a handful of Roseattes had already raised their broods and left, But this male and his mate were scurrying about on the island picking up sticks and carrying them off to some corner. Obviously building a nest. He was still, as you can see, in full breeding regalia. So what I think happened is that they lost there first hatch, probably to a gator, and are starting a second... might make it, might not. Any how he flew off the island to get some food and I got this shot. Just to dark to get a decent BIFF, but that's the breaks. they are pretty I think, in an ungainly, homely way.

web7D2-8069.jpg
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Dawn at the Rookery(2017)-4 Unlucky Roseatte Spoonbill

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 pm

He actually looks sad!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Didereaux wrote:Don't know this for certain, but I think I a correct. All but a handful of Roseattes had already raised their broods and left, But this male and his mate were scurrying about on the island picking up sticks and carrying them off to some corner. Obviously building a nest. He was still, as you can see, in full breeding regalia. So what I think happened is that they lost there first hatch, probably to a gator, and are starting a second... might make it, might not. Any how he flew off the island to get some food and I got this shot. Just to dark to get a decent BIFF, but that's the breaks. they are pretty I think, in an ungainly, homely way.

web7D2-8069.jpg

Happy or sad, he's beautiful, and I'm sure you were happy with him giving you a full body pose with no twigs in between, an interesting facial expression, and dressed up in his Sunday best. Wonderful.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri May 19, 2017 6:05 am

Didereaux wrote:Don't know this for certain, but I think I a correct. All but a handful of Roseattes had already raised their broods and left, But this male and his mate were scurrying about on the island picking up sticks and carrying them off to some corner. Obviously building a nest. He was still, as you can see, in full breeding regalia. So what I think happened is that they lost there first hatch, probably to a gator, and are starting a second... might make it, might not. Any how he flew off the island to get some food and I got this shot. Just to dark to get a decent BIFF, but that's the breaks. they are pretty I think, in an ungainly, homely way.

They remind me of a flamingo that crossed with a duck and that bill is an amazing evolutionary break.

I wonder if their color is for the same reason as flamingos. I'll have to learn more. Thank you for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Fri May 19, 2017 10:22 am

St3v3M wrote:

They remind me of a flamingo that crossed with a duck and that bill is an amazing evolutionary break.

I wonder if their color is for the same reason as flamingos. I'll have to learn more. Thank you for sharing! S-

Although they have a slight pinkish cast to some parts under all conditions, just like the flamingos it is intensified the more shrimp, and mudbugs(crawdads) they eat. And of course the colors are also added too during breeding times.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri May 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Didereaux wrote:Although they have a slight pinkish cast to some parts under all conditions, just like the flamingos it is intensified the more shrimp, and mudbugs(crawdads) they eat. And of course the colors are also added too during breeding times.

I always love to learn new things! Thank you again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Birds”