“There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” —Ernst Haas

Member's ShowcaseBill Clappering

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Bill Clappering

Postby Ceropegia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:45 pm

A mating behavior being performed by a great blue heron pair. These herons along with egrets and cormorants are all busy setting up house in the rookery on an island in a city park which is about 400 or 500 feet across the water from our mall parking lot. All I have to do is drive to the mall, park, get out, and start shooting. The park is a wetland formed at the mouth of a tributary creek as result of backwaters caused by a hydroelectric dam on the Coosa River. Until three years ago, the rookery was on another island a couple of hundred feet farther away, but the guano buildup eventually killed all the trees there so they had to move - fortunately to a closer island; although, it is still a challenging distance away, making me wish I could afford a good, powerful, long lens.
Attachments
IMG_5126ac2x.jpg
IMG_5125ax.jpg
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

minniev
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Bill Clappering

Postby minniev » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:29 pm

I am jealous of your proximity to these birds, have always wanted to photograph these rituals - the stick-offering, the nest building, all the interactions leading up to housekeeping. I drove halfway across the state to a known rookery last week and didn't see a thing. I often photograph herons and egrets fishing in local waters, but can't find their nesting spots. Nice sharp images, I am sure you'll have many more before the season's done!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:46 pm

Ceropegia wrote:A mating behavior being performed by a great blue heron pair. These herons along with egrets and cormorants are all busy setting up house in the rookery on an island in a city park which is about 400 or 500 feet across the water from our mall parking lot. All I have to do is drive to the mall, park, get out, and start shooting. The park is a wetland formed at the mouth of a tributary creek as result of backwaters caused by a hydroelectric dam on the Coosa River. Until three years ago, the rookery was on another island a couple of hundred feet farther away, but the guano buildup eventually killed all the trees there so they had to move - fortunately to a closer island; although, it is still a challenging distance away, making me wish I could afford a good, powerful, long lens.

I love the first! There seems to be a bit of emotion there as if I feel a part of the action!

Thank you so much for sharing these and please feel free to post more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:47 pm

minniev wrote:I am jealous of your proximity to these birds, have always wanted to photograph these rituals - the stick-offering, the nest building, all the interactions leading up to housekeeping. I drove halfway across the state to a known rookery last week and didn't see a thing. I often photograph herons and egrets fishing in local waters, but can't find their nesting spots. Nice sharp images, I am sure you'll have many more before the season's done!

You are blessed to have something this amazing where you live! And thank you for joining us again! S-

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:04 pm

minniev wrote:I am jealous of your proximity to these birds, have always wanted to photograph these rituals - the stick-offering, the nest building, all the interactions leading up to housekeeping. I drove halfway across the state to a known rookery last week and didn't see a thing. I often photograph herons and egrets fishing in local waters, but can't find their nesting spots. Nice sharp images, I am sure you'll have many more before the season's done!

Thanks. I do feel very lucky. The site is basically on one of the ways I can take home from downtown where I go at least twice a week. I have tried to get some good shots of them carrying sticks, but most do not turn out because I can't catch them in time to focus at maximum zoom and at less zoom the shots must be severely cropped. Once the trees leaf out, getting clear shots will be much more of a challenge.

I first started trying to photo the rookery in 2012 when it was at the first island I noticed them on. It was much further away I had a far less range with the camera I had then, so basically I just aimed at any white white specks I could see at full zoom and shot away. I crossed my fingers that I got something that was in focus. After cropping them as much as I reasonably could, I managed to luck out once in awhile, with a fairly decent image. By 2015, all but one tree on that island was dead and they had become established in their present location. They will surely kill all the trees within a few years and have to move on to a new site which, even if still in the park, will most likely not be as accessible.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Ceropegia wrote:
minniev wrote:... I crossed my fingers that I got something that was in focus. ...

I've done that in the past so it's good to know I'm not alone! S-

Return to “Birds”