"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." —Mark Twain

Member's ShowcaseGreat Egrets

Our feathered friends are found all around us. From the common to the exotic.
- Birds of any type in the wild or in captivity. Share your images, techniques and equipment choices.
Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Great Egrets

Postby Ceropegia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:32 pm

Have begun visiting the rookery in town again. The egrets plus herons and cormorants are all busy setting up house there. Remarkably, the rookery, on an island in a city park, is about 400 or 500 feet across the water from our mall parking lot. All I have to do is drive to the mall, park, get out, and start shooting. The park is a wetland formed at the mouth of a tributary creek as result of backwaters caused by a hydroelectric dam on the Coosa River. Until three years ago, the rookery was on another island a couple of hundred feet farther away, but the guano buildup eventually killed all the trees there so they had to move - fortunately to a closer island; although, it is still a challenging distance away, making me wish I could afford a good, powerful, long lens. The egrets are really beautiful in their breeding plumage.
Attachments
IMG_4816ax.jpg
IMG_4819ac1x.jpg
IMG_5002ax.jpg
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Re: Great Egrets

Postby Ceropegia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:36 pm

A few more. In the first photo, the two are having a dispute over who owns the perch.
Attachments
IMG_5292ax.jpg
IMG_5013ax.jpg
IMG_5010ax.jpg
Martha

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Have begun visiting the rookery in town again. The egrets plus herons and cormorants are all busy setting up house there. Remarkably, the rookery, on an island in a city park, is about 400 or 500 feet across the water from our mall parking lot. All I have to do is drive to the mall, park, get out, and start shooting. The park is a wetland formed at the mouth of a tributary creek as result of backwaters caused by a hydroelectric dam on the Coosa River. Until three years ago, the rookery was on another island a couple of hundred feet farther away, but the guano buildup eventually killed all the trees there so they had to move - fortunately to a closer island; although, it is still a challenging distance away, making me wish I could afford a good, powerful, long lens. The egrets are really beautiful in their breeding plumage.

Such amazing birds, you're blessed to get this close without disturbing them!

I've not done it, but have you thought to rent a lens? It might be a fun way to try before you buy.

Thank you for sharing these and for joining us again!I hope we see more in the future! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:25 pm

St3v3M wrote:Such amazing birds, you're blessed to get this close without disturbing them!

I've not done it, but have you thought to rent a lens? It might be a fun way to try before you buy.

The birds truly are beautiful in their breeding plumage with their colorful nares. Others have also suggested I could rent a lens. The nearest camera store is over 60 miles away. Also, my big camera has an A-mount which is not very common. I got that camera so I could use my old Minolta Maxxum lenses, but the longest I have only has a maximum zoom range of 300mm. At that range and with its weight, I would have to use a tripod and still need to crop heavily. So I am making do with my high end bridge camera, a Canon PowerShot SX60 HS, which has a 65X optical zoom. It is lightweight with great image stabilization so virtually everything I shoot with it, I do hand-held, since it is much easier than carting around a tripod. I often do not have to crop much, either.
Martha

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Ceropegia wrote:
St3v3M wrote:Such amazing birds, you're blessed to get this close without disturbing them!

The birds truly are beautiful in their breeding plumage with their colorful nares. Others have also suggested I could rent a lens. The nearest camera store is over 60 miles away. Also, my big camera has an A-mount which is not very common. I got that camera so I could use my old Minolta Maxxum lenses, but the longest I have only has a maximum zoom range of 300mm. At that range and with its weight, I would have to use a tripod and still need to crop heavily. So I am making do with my high end bridge camera, a Canon PowerShot SX60 HS, which has a 65X optical zoom. It is lightweight with great image stabilization so virtually everything I shoot with it, I do hand-held, since it is much easier than carting around a tripod. I often do not have to crop much, either.

I've seen others get great results with the SX60 so we'll hope for more images in the future. Thank you again for sharing these! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby minniev » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:07 am

Wow, what beautiful egrets! I shoot egrets a lot, but can't get close enough to them to get shots like these with my long zoom lens. Love that you got them with their green markings! Great images, very nicely framed.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Return to “Birds”