Photography GamesResurrecting the Dead?

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Resurrecting the Dead?

Post by Duck » Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 am

This game is simple. It's a compare and contrast exercise.

Hopefully over the past five (or more) years of honing our craft we have gotten better, both in the field and in the editing room. This challenge is designed to bring the past forward into the present.

[heading]RULES:[/heading]
  • Go back through your old images and pick out one image to re edit. the further back the better, with a minimum of at least five years ago.
  • Using your current knowledge and sentiments, reprocess that image as you would do it today. Try not to let the old processing influence your edit.
  • Post your edit with a brief description of what you saw today that you didn't back then.
  • Extra points if you can post the old edit as well so we can see the differences.
  • Post the original straight out of camera too, to further see the differences.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue May 09, 2017 1:54 am

Here's my first run at this challenge...

Here's the new edit;
Unitas_Photography-5521.jpg
New Edit

This is my original edit from back in 2013;
Unitas_Photography-5521-Edit-2013.jpg
Original edit

...and here is the original image as it was taken, with no editing done whatsoever;
Unitas_Photography-5521-Original.jpg
SOOC - No edits

Today, as back then, the thing that bothers me most is the person in the doorway in the background. I need to crop them out. The story is in the kissing couple (yes, I asked them to kiss for the photo) and therefore the emphasis has to be on them. In my original edit I think I cropped in too tight. No sense of 'place' there. The tonality is a little dull too, with too much into the mid and dark tones with little separation.

The new edit softens the image, separating the couple tonally from the background by lightening up the wall behind them. The goal was to bring their faces (albeit half hidden) more into the focal point than anything else. I used the dark of their clothing to create a "frame".
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:19 pm

I've been having fun watching some of the photographers here do this outside this post, but appreciate the Challenge and will look for some to post! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"