"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Things CritiqueAt Vicksburg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

At Vicksburg

Post by minniev » Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 pm

One of the many monuments in the national military park at Vicksburg. It was common to have statues of women in these monuments, representing Victory or Justice or some other trait the artist wanted to convey. This lady has something - flower petal, leaf, or bird poop, that has added a tear to her eye. So of course I tried to make it where the viewer saw that as I did. It was shot in harsh noon light and I wanted to use that to enhance detail and also to preserve some of the light coming from above, but still keep her features - so I overexposed and tinkered.

Does the concept work? How does the desaturated conversion with a warm tone work? What would be better? What about the border? If not this type, what type border do you think would be better? Or none?
Attachments
thing (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu May 17, 2018 4:10 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 pm
One of the many monuments in the national military park at Vicksburg. It was common to have statues of women in these monuments, representing Victory or Justice or some other trait the artist wanted to convey. This lady has something - flower petal, leaf, or bird poop, that has added a tear to her eye. So of course I tried to make it where the viewer saw that as I did. It was shot in harsh noon light and I wanted to use that to enhance detail and also to preserve some of the light coming from above, but still keep her features - so I overexposed and tinkered.

Does the concept work? How does the desaturated conversion with a warm tone work? What would be better? What about the border? If not this type, what type border do you think would be better? Or none?
I think it's overall terrific. Composition very strong, close-up perfect, light works well especially for the granite wall in the background ("texture" light). There is good detail everywhere, "long scale," and I think the conversion is perfect as is. The warm tone is not too warm nor too cool. I like the border and I think it enhances.

What I might do differently had I made it (all subjective!) would be to do something about the upper right corner that I find a little distracting. It draws my eye up there. I probably would try a content-aware fill or some such. I would not crop. I think the crop is perfect and if cropped it would spoil the compositional balance. I think I might also clone out all the other white bird poo or whatever everywhere except the teardrop, and lastly I think I would at least try taking down the brightness on the tear (I think it's a stray flower petal). I hope I would have seen it and been moved by it as well, but I find it a little hot as it is. It's maybe just a little too look-at-me-I'm-a-tear. I wouldn't want to lose the effect, just tone it down. :cheers:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm

If you mean over exposing and tinkering, I’m not sure…you have quite a bit of specular highlight clipping going on which is not a deal breaker but it is there..might have had enough detail in the shadows anyway with so much light…I guess maybe what I mean to say is you could have upped the exposure in masked areas where detail was lacking in post maybe….may or may not have worked. So what is a desaturated conversion with warm tone?? just removing all the saturation and upping the temp?? However done it seems fine to me, has the look of a bronze if that was your goal. Many things could be different but not sure about better….on the fence about the border…I’ll go with Chuck on toning down the tear and might suggest picking the color of the other bird poo and painting in with blend-if….all in all a well captured and presented image minniev.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:10 pm

I think it's overall terrific. Composition very strong, close-up perfect, light works well especially for the granite wall in the background ("texture" light). There is good detail everywhere, "long scale," and I think the conversion is perfect as is. The warm tone is not too warm nor too cool. I like the border and I think it enhances.

What I might do differently had I made it (all subjective!) would be to do something about the upper right corner that I find a little distracting. It draws my eye up there. I probably would try a content-aware fill or some such. I would not crop. I think the crop is perfect and if cropped it would spoil the compositional balance. I think I might also clone out all the other white bird poo or whatever everywhere except the teardrop, and lastly I think I would at least try taking down the brightness on the tear (I think it's a stray flower petal). I hope I would have seen it and been moved by it as well, but I find it a little hot as it is. It's maybe just a little too look-at-me-I'm-a-tear. I wouldn't want to lose the effect, just tone it down. :cheers:
Thanks Chuck. I agree about the right corner. It is a feature of the frame layer, and I think I'll either flip it or mask some of it out. I took out some poo but there are some other white spots I can attack. I'll experiment with the "tear" which I agree about too, it is probably reflected light from whatever the thing is, in noon sun. Appreciate the details. I'll post another version later!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu May 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 pm
If you mean over exposing and tinkering, I’m not sure…you have quite a bit of specular highlight clipping going on which is not a deal breaker but it is there..might have had enough detail in the shadows anyway with so much light…I guess maybe what I mean to say is you could have upped the exposure in masked areas where detail was lacking in post maybe….may or may not have worked. So what is a desaturated conversion with warm tone?? just removing all the saturation and upping the temp?? However done it seems fine to me, has the look of a bronze if that was your goal. Many things could be different but not sure about better….on the fence about the border…I’ll go with Chuck on toning down the tear and might suggest picking the color of the other bird poo and painting in with blend-if….all in all a well captured and presented image minniev.
Thanks Frank. I'll look at the clipping again. I am guilty of forgetting to look AFTER processing, which is just as important as before since processing can change everything. Yes on what I meant about desat/warm. And yes on border repair and the "tear". Now you know I don't know how to do that blend if and color picking thing, so now is the time for you to do a tutorial???

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:35 am

minniev wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 pm

This is a wonderful shot, so intimate! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"