Things CritiqueMuseum Pieces

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Museum Pieces

Post by pop511 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:41 am

With nothing to do, I went to the Natural History Museum here in Sydney.
Of course I took my remote flashes, which turned out to be a waste of time as you are not allowed in most parts to use flash and I'm still waiting for my tripods to be shipped back.
A ball of string would have been helpful so I could loop it around the camera and my foot.
Many sections were dimly lit.

The pics didn't come out too bad. My Canon 1ds Mk2 from experience starts to show colour range loss over ISO 800. These were shot at ISO 1600, but still usable.
Have ordered a Canon 1dx Mk2. Can't wait.
Cat pic ISO 1600 F5.6 1/13sec 54mm
ride_em cowboy ISO 1600 F4 1/15sec 38mm

Have fun
ed
Attachments
Big_Cat.jpg
Ride_Em.jpg
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00 pm

#2 - I didn't know museum curators had such great senses of humor. Only in Australia? :) After the initial impact of such a unique piece, I can also enjoy the details of the ceiling architecture. You could clone out or disguise the person and exhibit on the left for fewer distractions (unless your intent is to show the setting).

Similarly, with #1 you could remove the tall object that is about to impale the kitty's belly :) Also the light on the right side and the gray pieces on left. Again, only if you're interested in the figure itself rather than the setting. Your lower perspective and the light and details would make this a fantastic element in a composite.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Thx Linda. Yes I could have cloned out areas or fooled around, but decided to leave it in it's setting.
If you think kitty is too tame, try this
Attachments
big_cat2_small.jpg
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 pm

pop511 wrote:With nothing to do, I went to the Natural History Museum here in Sydney.
Of course I took my remote flashes, which turned out to be a waste of time as you are not allowed in most parts to use flash and I'm still waiting for my tripods to be shipped back.
A ball of string would have been helpful so I could loop it around the camera and my foot.
Many sections were dimly lit.

The pics didn't come out too bad. My Canon 1ds Mk2 from experience starts to show colour range loss over ISO 800. These were shot at ISO 1600, but still usable.
Have ordered a Canon 1dx Mk2. Can't wait.
Cat pic ISO 1600 F5.6 1/13sec 54mm
ride_em cowboy ISO 1600 F4 1/15sec 38mm

Have fun
ed

These are pretty darned good for museum shots in near darkness with no flash or tripod. (Been there and done that). On the cat, it looks like the focus was perhaps on his haunch instead of his head, which takes away a little from it. I love the mounted skeleton.

These might be fun to play with in Photoshop with new backgrounds and textures, especially the mounted skeleton. I'm not good enough yet with selections but I seem to remember that you've had some practice with that. Could be interesting!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:07 am

I wanted to give the impression that the cat was moving. For that I warp blurred the right side of the legs and head.
Only a five minute play in P/S.
have fun
ed
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:15 pm

pop511 wrote:With nothing to do, I went to the Natural History Museum here in Sydney. ...

I go to the museum on off days and always enjoy them, but I've never seen a dead man on a horse before, I love it!

The cat got me thinking and with two adjustments, it changed a little for me. Is its tail really that short? I hope you enjoy it! S-
Attachments
Big_Cat-1.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am

Ed! "Didn't come out too bad?" "Usable?" They are great! I am a total museum nut and these are just fine. I use a way smaller a smaller camera than you (1" sensor); you are rockin' a full frame. No museum of my acquaintance will allow flash or tripods, most will not even allow a monopod (safety issues), but indeed, I have never once had a problem with my stringpod, aside from a couple of times having a guard wonder what the heck it was and how it worked. :) I have about an 8' length of parachute cord tied to a 1/4 x 20 ringbolt. It cost next to nothing, weighs next to nothing, and can be tucked anywhere in the smallest case and deployed for use in seconds. I like the parachute cord because I don't have to do anything more elaborate than step on it. Its thickness causes it to grab solidly under my boot but can be adjusted in seconds. The extra length is if I want to hoist the camera over my head. Your pretty kitty has that wonderful blue highlight rimming her right foreleg from a gelled spot. Firing flashes ruins the lighting so carefully set up by the curators (I'm also an available dark nut for that reason). These are great shots, nice and sharp and low noise thanks to image stabilization and a massive sensor. It's clear that you were having fun! (your own tagline) :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Steve;
"Tail too short"
We have to remember that these animals have not been around for 1000's and many cases millions of years
So, some hope for me. I might be up there one day
Have to laugh;
And yes a piece of string. SO handy
ed
ed davis