The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Things CritiqueKitchen knife

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Kitchen knife

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Duck wrote:Does this make you feel like going out to buy one of these?
Oh wow, now that is a showstopper! Super cool.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4098
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:30 pm

minniev wrote:...
I have to say that your studio is absolutely terrifying to me.
...

Isn't it odd that we're both comfortable in the big open but are both lost in a studio? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2479
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:20 pm

minniev wrote:The disproportionate sizes of the two make you keep looking at this again, which is the purpose of all that we do, is it not?

Believe it or not, that's the smaller of the two knives. I should probably get a larger avocado. :-D

minniev wrote:I have to say that your studio is absolutely terrifying to me.

Nah, once I introduce you to the equipment you'd want to play.

minniev wrote:Love the new avatar, ultra creative.

Thanks, I was feeling spontaneous and in a good mood. I'm glad you like it. A little more personal than my drawing.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2479
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:24 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Oh wow, now that is a showstopper! Super cool.

I'm digging it too. Obviously it would present better in portrait but as it's for my landscape oriented online portfolio, I opted to go this route. (?)

St3v3M wrote:Isn't it odd that we're both comfortable in the big open but are both lost in a studio? S-

And I feel so much happier in my man cave. Though I should get out more often than I do.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 am
Location: Las Vegas
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:50 am

I really like the last image of the two knives on the black slate, my only thought for improvement would be to use a large strip box rather than a round light behind a scrim to create the lateral highlight.

The way it stands you have a definitive circle over the blades but the dimension of the handles is lost in the shift of the highlight when the handles exit the main circumference of the light. The other thing I might have considered was rotating the knives so that the lines on the handles lined up with the texture of the slate which would also require rotating the lighting a but to compensate

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2479
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:00 am

Bobby Deal wrote:I really like the last image of the two knives on the black slate, my only thought for improvement would be to use a large strip box rather than a round light behind a scrim to create the lateral highlight. The way it stands you have a definitive circle over the blades but the dimension of the handles is lost in the shift of the highlight when the handles exit the main circumference of the light.

My original thought was to draw attention to the blades, not the handles. Now that you've mentioned it, though, I can see how that would enhance the entire product. I'll have to keep that tip in mind.

Bobby Deal wrote:The other thing I might have considered was rotating the knives so that the lines on the handles lined up with the texture of the slate which would also require rotating the lighting a bit to compensate

I hadn't put too much thought into that. I was mostly concerned with keeping the knives on a rather small piece of stone. Nothing that some cloning couldn't have fixed, but I wasn't thinking along those lines. As it is, they kinda-sorta line up. :-)

Thanks for the comments. They're definitely appreciated.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 am
Location: Las Vegas
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:34 am

Duck wrote:My original thought was to draw attention to the blades, not the handles. Now that you've mentioned it, though, I can see how that would enhance the entire product. I'll have to keep that tip in mind.



If you strafe the light across the lateral line just skimming it with the edge of the light the natural fall off of the light should produce the desired effect while still maintaining the focus on the blades

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests