Things CritiqueWhiskey a la bokeh

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Whiskey a la bokeh

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:35 am

Another beverage shot to put into my portfolio. Comments, suggestions, likes, dislikes. Let me know your thoughts.
Unitas_Photography-1100.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:21 am

Never expected this;
What a difference it takes to change from a dull ordinary shot into something of imagination.
Lighting and setup superb.
Critique..Nah not really..But I have a few ideas for you to play around with.
White/silver bounce card ( in the shape of the glass ) behind drink lit with spot to bring light in from the back and take away centre shadow.
Black cards either side to darken glass edge.
An absolute stunning shot.
Now..Where's that drink?
ed davis

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:30 am

pop511 wrote:White/silver bounce card ( in the shape of the glass ) behind drink lit with spot to bring light in from the back and take away centre shadow.

There is a silver mirror doing exactly that behind the glass. Without it the liquid would have been duller looking. Beat ya to it.

pop511 wrote:Black cards either side to darken glass edge.

With all the dark around it the black cards wouldn't have added anything. I have a large diffuser, camera right, creating the gradient. That's what's getting reflected on the rear part of the glass on the left. If anything probably pull the diffuser forward more to give a little edge definition on the glass edge, camera right.

The other thing I feel may have improved the shot would be to place a second light on the background to give a little ring of light around the glass. I thought about doing it in post but I opted for a vignette instead.

Thanks for the input.

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Post by pop511 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 am

Thx Duck;
"The other thing I feel may have improved the shot "
Photogs are never satisfied, are we?... :)

Still can't find my drink... :cry: :cry:
ed davis

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:52 am

pop511 wrote:Photogs are never satisfied, are we?... :)

When that happens I might as well hang it up.

Here's to you. :cheers:

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:48 pm

I wouldn't change a single thing. I would, in fact, be satisfied! (OK) (Which explains why I ain't no artiste but wish I wuz.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:16 pm

Dislike: the horizontal framing and both the bokeh and reflection cut off. That creates a tension I don't want to feel regarding this subject (and I don't mean literally the whiskey - lol - but the overall image.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:41 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Likes: the rich colors, sharpness of details, the light.

Dislike: the horizontal framing and both the bokeh and reflection cut off. That creates a tension I don't want to feel regarding this subject (and I don't mean literally the whiskey - lol - but the overall image.

I think that's very deliberate to provide space for the product name, advertising copy, so on. I used to do some of that. Sometimes an art director would specify exactly where the space was wanted, or we'd shoot vertically and horizontally, maybe even provide space on the other side. The picture was the "hook" to get a potential buyer to read the copy. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I think that's very deliberate to provide space for the product name, advertising copy, so on. I used to do some of that. Sometimes an art director would specify exactly where the space was wanted, or we'd shoot vertically and horizontally, maybe even provide space on the other side. The picture was the "hook" to get a potential buyer to read the copy. :|

The framing and cropping are indeed intentional as it is for my online portfolio. Since it's going to be viewed on a computer screen the horizontal framing works best. :thumbup:

LindaShorey wrote:...Dislike: the horizontal framing and both the bokeh and reflection cut off. That creates a tension I don't want to feel regarding this subject (and I don't mean literally the whiskey - lol - but the overall image.

Indeed, as I mentioned above, the landscape orientation is to maximize the image for online viewing. Since my website has my logo on the top left and the menu at top right placing the subject on the right brings the eye into the menu area. In my gallery display I also have the gallery thumbnails on the left so having the product on the right creates a bit more separation, less crowded feeling because Westerners read left to right, having that open space to the left acts as a 'buffer' slowly inviting the viewer into the image.

The original image was indeed shot looser showing more BG lights and reflection. I chose to tighten the crop as I wanted more emphasis on the glass and less on the frilly stuff. Yes, it adds mood and such but I felt a tighter crop would serve my purposes better. That said, had this been for a magazine ad I would have shot it vertically with copy space on the left as required and I would have had the room for more reflection and lights. As it is I am thinking of reshooting it anyway as I think a spot of light around the glass would help this image tremendously. Maybe even out the background gradient a bit more evenly, less falloff.

Thanks for the comments, they are very helpful.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Duck wrote:Let me know your thoughts.
Unitas_Photography-1100.jpg
Get'n pretty darn picky but I find the lower two cubes competing with all else....I at first thought there were chocolate candies rather than bubbles.....so I don't know if that's a good think or a bad thing...but if I was selling whisky I wouldn't want the chocolate guy get'n any advertising on my nickel.....wonderfully done Duck.