Things CritiqueBeer shot - first try

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Beer shot - first try

Post by Duck » Fri May 05, 2017 2:20 am

I've done beverage shots in the past. Coffees, sodas, wine... I never tried beer. So rather than making it easy for myself, I opted to go all out. I got a glass, doctored it all up with frost and ice crystals, set my lights then poured and prayed.

This was the one and only usable shot I got. By the time I tried adjusting a light the head deflated like an old latex balloon left out in the sun too long. As it is, I think I waited too long to trip the shutter on this shot.

Unitas_Photography-0383.jpg

As with any endeavor, I learned a lot. For one, a stout does not allow any light to come through the liquid. Unless it's nuclear, that is. Second, I see why you need a dozen glasses prepped and ready to go. One pour, one shot, no second takes.

Aside from all the mistakes I made, I feel this is barely passable. That's why I'm posting it here. I hate the two reflections in the front and I would have liked to see more drips breaking the edges of the glass...

Live and learn.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Fri May 05, 2017 12:08 pm

If the goal is to make the viewer want a cold one, it worked Duck. :)

The reflections are a bit distracting and I can understand why you'd like it to be "better". Sometimes those ideas we get in our head are more complicated to accomplish than we thought and don't discover that until we have at it.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri May 05, 2017 12:14 pm

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day." :D

I think you did great considering you apparently lacked a critical component: a stylist.

I think it's more than "barely passable." It's a solid white-line shot. The front reflections don't bother me, though they might be controlled with barn doors or gobos, but I think they are fine and natural. I never did much food but on the rare occasions I did I had to have a stylist because it's really, really hard to be on both sides of the camera (but you know that), and especially something like beer or stout that has a rapidly deflating head but you know all that... :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Fri May 05, 2017 1:18 pm

The rim lighting and frostiness you were able to catch are very appealing. I'm with Tom: pour me a cold one! Duck, thank you so much for explaining the set-up and your pitfalls. For those of us who rarely, if ever, shoot still life, your information is both daunting and inspiring!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri May 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks for the comments, folks. You're more than kind. I'll be trying it again this weekend but I'll grab some pilsners instead. They're easier to light and more forgiving. I also need a few more glasses. This one I used also has a lopsided edge. At certain angles it becomes really noticeable. I might do soda instead as I need to prep for a cold beverage shot coming up in the near future.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu May 11, 2017 6:29 am

Duck wrote:Thanks for the comments, folks. You're more than kind. I'll be trying it again this weekend but I'll grab some pilsners instead. They're easier to light and more forgiving. I also need a few more glasses. This one I used also has a lopsided edge. At certain angles it becomes really noticeable. I might do soda instead as I need to prep for a cold beverage shot coming up in the near future.

I don't know enough about this to pass judgment but am intrigued and will look forward to your progress. Thank you for the details! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:22 pm

I revisited this image today. Not for a reshoot but to play around with Photoshop a bit.

In a last ditch effort, a good photographer needs to have the PS skills to hopefully salvage a once in a lifetime shot. You never know when or where that shot will take place but we need to be ready for it, just in case. To that end I usually give myself little end of the world tasks of salvaging an image not quite up to par. This is one such image worthy of using as a practice piece.

I redid the background in order to change it from a portrait to a landscape format. I also brightened the beer foam, brought it up in the glass and tried to bring more ice crystals forward.

Anyhow, this is the end results of a little experimenting, some reworking and some effective layering. Thoughts?

Unitas_Photography-0383.jpg
Beer reworked

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:18 am

lst attempt and I think you did well. Not something I would try or really interested in. That being said off to have a beer, thanks Duck.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:25 am

Duck wrote:Anyhow, this is the end results of a little experimenting, some reworking and some effective layering. Thoughts?

I like it but it feels like I lose 'focus' near the pinch in the glass, like it's so dark I can't focus and ignore it. Guinness? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:lst attempt and I think you did well. Not something I would try or really interested in. That being said off to have a beer, thanks Duck.

Thanks for stopping by and looking Ernst.

St3v3M wrote:I like it but it feels like I lose 'focus' near the pinch in the glass, like it's so dark I can't focus and ignore it. Guinness? S-

Oh, there's lots more wrong with this than a little off focus. :spank: I'll eventually reshoot this. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it.