"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerHiking Boots

Commercial product shots or artistic still life all fit into this category.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Hiking Boots

Postby Duck » Sat May 14, 2016 1:42 am

I tooks some much needed time to work on some portfolio pieces. These are from one of two of my latest sessions. I see a few things I should probably address in post but not sure it's a deal breaker. They do bother me and I'll probably address them anyhow but just wanted to get an overall consensus from the group.

I'll list what I see wrong later after others have had a chance to respond. (Might as well turn it into a game, right?) :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Hiking Boots

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 14, 2016 2:18 am

I can only wish mine looked as pretty, but like wrinkles I see the bumps and bruises as well worn miles across the ever growing trail.

Thank you again for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Psjunkie » Sat May 14, 2016 2:49 am

Duck wrote:Image

I tooks some much needed time to work on some portfolio pieces. These are from one of two of my latest sessions. I see a few things I should probably address in post but not sure it's a deal breaker. They do bother me and I'll probably address them anyhow but just wanted to get an overall consensus from the group.

I'll list what I see wrong later after others have had a chance to respond. (Might as well turn it into a game, right?) :-D
In image one I don't believe I should be seen a reflection of the top of the boot. Image two's reflection confuses me where circled. Hope this helps, I have absolutely no knowledge of product photos Duck.
Attachments
UnitasPhoto_New Balance2_01-L.jpg
UnitasPhoto_New Balance2_01-L.jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 641 times

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Sat May 14, 2016 9:05 am

Duck, I like the fact that you have them displayed in a manner that is different.
On the other hand, for some reason seeing only one boot just doesn't seem right for some reason. Very nice work. Like the lighting a lot.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 am

Here are the hi-res version of the shoes for you guys to check out.
UnitasPhoto_2016-05-12 New Balance_01.jpg

UnitasPhoto_2016-05-12 New Balance2_01.jpg

Psjunkie wrote:In image one I don't believe I should be seen a reflection of the top of the boot. Image two's reflection confuses me where circled. Hope this helps, I have absolutely no knowledge of product photos Duck.

Thanks for your comments, Psjunkie. The reflection seen is the actual product as shot, just toned down a bit. With the shoe on its side I was looking to show what the tread looks like. Perhaps a little burning under the main shoe to diminish the reflection some more may be needed (?)

TomCofer wrote:Duck, I like the fact that you have them displayed in a manner that is different.
On the other hand, for some reason seeing only one boot just doesn't seem right for some reason. Very nice work. Like the lighting a lot.

While the single shoe isn't a standard display I chose it specifically for that reason. I saw a similar look on another website and fell in love with the look. I wanted to give it a try myself. As for the two shoes together, in retrospect I think I should have flipped the bottom shoe so the toe sticks out rather than the heel. Oh well. Next time.

Here is a SooC shot of the above double shoe shot.
duck_New Balance2-032.jpg
Straight out of Camera
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks for the extra shot Duck. It gives us a better idea of your set-up and how much work you did in editing.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Return to “Commercial & Still Life”