"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Things CritiqueHiking Boots

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Reputation: 152
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Hiking Boots

Postby Duck » Sat May 14, 2016 1:42 am

Image

Image

I tooks some much needed time to work on some portfolio pieces. These are from one of two of my latest sessions. I see a few things I should probably address in post but not sure it's a deal breaker. They do bother me and I'll probably address them anyhow but just wanted to get an overall consensus from the group.

I'll list what I see wrong later after others have had a chance to respond. (Might as well turn it into a game, right?) :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2550
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 102
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Hiking Boots

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 14, 2016 2:18 am

I can only wish mine looked as pretty, but like wrinkles I see the bumps and bruises as well worn miles across the ever growing trail.

Thank you again for sharing! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Posts: 667
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Reputation: 32
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Hiking Boots

Postby Psjunkie » Sat May 14, 2016 2:49 am

Duck wrote:Image

I tooks some much needed time to work on some portfolio pieces. These are from one of two of my latest sessions. I see a few things I should probably address in post but not sure it's a deal breaker. They do bother me and I'll probably address them anyhow but just wanted to get an overall consensus from the group.

I'll list what I see wrong later after others have had a chance to respond. (Might as well turn it into a game, right?) :-D
In image one I don't believe I should be seen a reflection of the top of the boot. Image two's reflection confuses me where circled. Hope this helps, I have absolutely no knowledge of product photos Duck.
Attachments
UnitasPhoto_New Balance2_01-L.jpg
UnitasPhoto_New Balance2_01-L.jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 727 times

User avatar
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2632
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am
Reputation: 36
Location: Fredericktown, MO
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Hiking Boots

Postby TomCofer » Sat May 14, 2016 9:05 am

Duck, I like the fact that you have them displayed in a manner that is different.
On the other hand, for some reason seeing only one boot just doesn't seem right for some reason. Very nice work. Like the lighting a lot.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Reputation: 152
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Hiking Boots

Postby Duck » Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 am

Here are the hi-res version of the shoes for you guys to check out.
UnitasPhoto_2016-05-12 New Balance_01.jpg

UnitasPhoto_2016-05-12 New Balance2_01.jpg


Psjunkie wrote:In image one I don't believe I should be seen a reflection of the top of the boot. Image two's reflection confuses me where circled. Hope this helps, I have absolutely no knowledge of product photos Duck.

Thanks for your comments, Psjunkie. The reflection seen is the actual product as shot, just toned down a bit. With the shoe on its side I was looking to show what the tread looks like. Perhaps a little burning under the main shoe to diminish the reflection some more may be needed (?)

TomCofer wrote:Duck, I like the fact that you have them displayed in a manner that is different.
On the other hand, for some reason seeing only one boot just doesn't seem right for some reason. Very nice work. Like the lighting a lot.

While the single shoe isn't a standard display I chose it specifically for that reason. I saw a similar look on another website and fell in love with the look. I wanted to give it a try myself. As for the two shoes together, in retrospect I think I should have flipped the bottom shoe so the toe sticks out rather than the heel. Oh well. Next time.

Here is a SooC shot of the above double shoe shot.
duck_New Balance2-032.jpg
Straight out of Camera
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2632
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am
Reputation: 36
Location: Fredericktown, MO
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Hiking Boots

Postby TomCofer » Tue May 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks for the extra shot Duck. It gives us a better idea of your set-up and how much work you did in editing.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.


Return to “Things Critique”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests