Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

Things CritiqueDali's The Nobility of Time

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Dali's The Nobility of Time

Post by minniev » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:34 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 pm
Ever soooo cool Minnie !!! Love it.
Dave
thanks Dave
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:12 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:52 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:09 am
minniev wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:41 pm

Thanks Piet. I was a little put off by Andorra which has given up its old buildings for modern plastic-cy architecture, but the Dali sculpture was a fun find. It seemed a bit shocking that it was sitting right there in the public crosswalk, with people climbing on it and such, exposed to the elements, and no one paying much attention. Just the tiny sign at the foot, with his name.
I'd be curious to see the original, your color work is just beautiful.
Here's the original
seeing the original, I really love how you emphasized it's natural colors and then gave it the beautiful background to help it along even further. It is awesome!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 pm
Here's the sculpture that inspired me to do a Masters on Dali. It's in the city of Andorra La Vella, capital of the tiny country of Andorra. But it's right in the middle of the shopping district surround by tourists, duty free shoppers, and boring looking modern stores. So I plucked it out.

Suggestions always welcome, I never know what to do with art objects that I photograph.
(snarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnark...)
OMG WHAT DID YOU USE TO "PLUCK" THAT OUT? A CHAINSAW? :o

I naturally had to enlarge it to see all the tiniest mistakes but they are there--they are there--someplace. I will hunt them down! And that BACKGROUND! OMG! GAH! MY EYES..... You "never know what to do with art objects that ... photograph"? Got THAT right! :x
(snarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarkety...)

So seriously, that's a literal standout job! I had no idea it was a composite and would not have known had it not been in the info. It's beautiful, that background is perfect, and the tones, the palette, the overall fit of the thing is fabulous. It looks like a studio shot. I do a lot of cutouts; I could not have done better! Probably not as good! You ARE good, Min! Don't forget it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:45 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:12 pm
minniev wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:

Here's the original
seeing the original, I really love how you emphasized it's natural colors and then gave it the beautiful background to help it along even further. It is awesome!
You saw what I was trying to do, which is encouraging - emphasize the colors in the piece, enrich them, and find a background that would add drama without being too disruptive. Glad it seems to work!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:02 pm
minniev wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:40 pm
Here's the sculpture that inspired me to do a Masters on Dali. It's in the city of Andorra La Vella, capital of the tiny country of Andorra. But it's right in the middle of the shopping district surround by tourists, duty free shoppers, and boring looking modern stores. So I plucked it out.

Suggestions always welcome, I never know what to do with art objects that I photograph.
(snarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnark...)
OMG WHAT DID YOU USE TO "PLUCK" THAT OUT? A CHAINSAW? :o

I naturally had to enlarge it to see all the tiniest mistakes but they are there--they are there--someplace. I will hunt them down! And that BACKGROUND! OMG! GAH! MY EYES..... You "never know what to do with art objects that ... photograph"? Got THAT right! :x
(snarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarksnarkety...)

So seriously, that's a literal standout job! I had no idea it was a composite and would not have known had it not been in the info. It's beautiful, that background is perfect, and the tones, the palette, the overall fit of the thing is fabulous. It looks like a studio shot. I do a lot of cutouts; I could not have done better! Probably not as good! You ARE good, Min! Don't forget it.
Thanks so much Chuck! It’s just the plain old PS tools for extraction. I do most of mine manually, no channel masks or select color, just draw the thing and work from there. I had trouble with the wings on the right, thus left that angel in the shadow somewhat for disguise.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 am

PietFrancke wrote:
minniev wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:

Here's the original
ok, but now I would like to put you on the hook... You Emphasized the colors! How did you do that? Not curious about what slider you used, but rather, how did you see/choose/come up with/pick/know what colors to use??? Was it a warming process?, A saturation thing? I am astounded by how CLEAR and CLEAN your colors are.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:42 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 am
PietFrancke wrote:
minniev wrote:

Here's the original
ok, but now I would like to put you on the hook... You Emphasized the colors! How did you do that? Not curious about what slider you used, but rather, how did you see/choose/come up with/pick/know what colors to use??? Was it a warming process?, A saturation thing? I am astounded by how CLEAR and CLEAN your colors are.
I am sure I couldn’t duplicate whatever I did, but it involved playing with luminosity masks and color curves. This is something new to me and my knowledge is still in about the 1% range. I bought a contraption from Blake Rudis that sits inside of photoshop and makes it a little easier to do (though not necessarily to understand). It seemingly has a bunch of actions that are “called up” with buttons, and create the masks and manipulate the various tone and color curves, then you fiddle with them. That is all I know about that as Forest Gump would say.

Then i picked a background that had the colors I wanted to emphasize and used it for both background and overlay (the overlay at reduced opacity of course).

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:57 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:42 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:54 am
PietFrancke wrote:

I am sure I couldn’t duplicate whatever I did, but it involved playing with luminosity masks and color curves. This is something new to me and my knowledge is still in about the 1% range. I bought a contraption from Blake Rudis that sits inside of photoshop and makes it a little easier to do (though not necessarily to understand). It seemingly has a bunch of actions that are “called up” with buttons, and create the masks and manipulate the various tone and color curves, then you fiddle with them. That is all I know about that as Forest Gump would say.

Then i picked a background that had the colors I wanted to emphasize and used it for both background and overlay (the overlay at reduced opacity of course).
thanks for sharing - I know what you mean about "being able to do it again".. My second kingfisher bird ended up with a very different feel than that the first one had, though I tried a similar process. I am very familiar with that 1 percent range, I know it well.. One Percent well..

Karen
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Karen » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Whoa! This “before” and it’s “after” show an amazing command of the craft as well as personal vision, minniev!! Congrats!!!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Karen wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:29 pm
Whoa! This “before” and it’s “after” show an amazing command of the craft as well as personal vision, minniev!! Congrats!!!
Thanks, Karen. I am always challenged when I try to photograph art objects, because they are seldom in an appealing background. Usually the lighting is not conducive to photography, often tripods and flash are forbidden, there are visitors naturally coming to view the artwork who are not concerned about our picturetaking. Sometimes I try to create a more interesting backdrop for them, or do something else creative, just for the fun of it.