"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Things CritiqueDesigner boots

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Designer boots

Postby Duck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:34 am

During a friend's photo shoot I grabbed these boots and went off to a quiet corner for an impromptu product shot. After sitting on this for a while I thought I would give it a non standard processing treatment. No, this would probably not fly for a client but I wanted to get people's opinions here to see if it could at least garner some viewer appreciation. Thoughts and comments appreciated, as always.
Unitas_Photography-2279.jpg
Designer boots
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Re: Designer boots

Postby davechinn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:35 am

A fine lookin' pair of boots !!! I like this image and it would go over pretty well as a product advertisement. However, my personal preference (based on the background) would have been to use weathered boots. It would fit the background environment much better, IMO. I understand this was a quick, grab the boots and shoot, which may not been your intentions. Either way, I still like it as is.
Dave

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:04 pm

A very nice image Duck..Mr. Chinn has a point, I would also consider leaving the camera right laces untied, technically well done, all just really depends on your vision....

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:10 pm

I love the positioning of the boots and the pristine, shiny newness contrasted against aged and weathered. The bright board on left is distracting; I'd like to see it more detailed and darker like the right side or the one below it. The laces, zippers, top stitching...all the details of this "product shot" are wonderful IMO. The photo certainly makes me want to go out and purchase a pair :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:24 pm

davechinn wrote:A fine lookin' pair of boots !!! I like this image and it would go over pretty well as a product advertisement. However, my personal preference (based on the background) would have been to use weathered boots. It would fit the background environment much better, IMO. I understand this was a quick, grab the boots and shoot, which may not been your intentions. Either way, I still like it as is.
Dave

Yes, I agree this setting would have been ideal for weathered boots. But as far as I know, most companies don't sell preworn shoes from an online catalog. :D
This was not initially created as a catalog piece. I was going for more of an editorial feel with a straight, clean processing of the image. This particular look came about because I was playing around with grunge effects in PS. No, these boots don't really say grunge but I was pleasantly surprised by the result and thought I'd get some feedback. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Psjunkie wrote:A very nice image Duck..Mr. Chinn has a point, I would also consider leaving the camera right laces untied, technically well done, all just really depends on your vision....

Untied... hmmm... that feels so wrong to me but then, I've been known to be wrong before. I get your point though. It would have given the scene a more casual feel. I'll make that a note for the future. Thanks.

LindaShorey wrote:I love the positioning of the boots and the pristine, shiny newness contrasted against aged and weathered. The bright board on left is distracting; I'd like to see it more detailed and darker like the right side or the one below it. The laces, zippers, top stitching...all the details of this "product shot" are wonderful IMO. The photo certainly makes me want to go out and purchase a pair :D

The brightness on the left bothered me too but I thought it was just me having been staring at this too long. I'll go back and see if I can tone it down some. Thanks for the critique.

Overall (minus a few tweaks) I was happy with this look. Not my typical style but it seemed to work well. I'll have to try this with some watches. ;)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:29 am

When I first viewed them, I thought the boots looked slightly used; a crease across the toes in the right shoe, and what looks like worn interiors at the tops of each boot. I was surprised to learn that they were new. I like the sheen on the left boot, but I find the right boot's tones above the dark toe section to be thin -- the only word that comes to mind. The overall tone reminds me of chocolate and my need for some. In a catalog, though, I would pass this by. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 am

Matt Quinn wrote:When I first viewed them, I thought the boots looked slightly used; a crease across the toes in the right shoe, and what looks like worn interiors at the tops of each boot. I was surprised to learn that they were new.

Not out of the box new, worn once new. Photographing these shoes was a spur of the moment thing and I was definitely looking for an editorial fee. l

Matt Quinn wrote:I like the sheen on the left boot, but I find the right boot's tones above the dark toe section to be thin -- the only word that comes to mind. The overall tone reminds me of chocolate and my need for some. In a catalog, though, I would pass this by. Matt

Chocolate, yes, love it. Catalog, never.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:21 am

Duck wrote:During a friend's photo shoot I grabbed these boots and went off to a quiet corner for an impromptu product shot. After sitting on this for a while I thought I would give it a non standard processing treatment. No, this would probably not fly for a client but I wanted to get people's opinions here to see if it could at least garner some viewer appreciation. Thoughts and comments appreciated, as always.

Sic Boots and an inspiration to shoot my own. Thank you for that! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:45 pm

It's a well taken image, and the weathered wood and rusty "thingy" make a great backdrop.

The brighter wood on the left side stands out a bit much to my eye. And for reasons that are likely just personal to me, the impression of leftward lean troubles me.

It is very interesting to see your kind of photography, commercial/product type photography, because it forces me to see in an entirely different way than what is usual for me. And new ways to see are always opportunities for growth.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Return to “Things Critique”