Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Things Showcasetreasure

Images of inanimate objects; furniture, food & beverage, appliances, gadgets, electronics, apparel, jewelry
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

treasure

Post by PietFrancke »

I saw some Jim-Pops light painting posts (google Harold Ross), and I was inspired and tried to give it a shot. Images were taken in a totally dark room and I used a home-made diffused flashlight on the subject. Each exposure was about six seconds. And then I brought them into photoshop and blended them the best I could using masks and the Lighten mode. Was lots of fun and I now have a new way to photograph my miniatures - though for small stuff, you don't have much control.
treasure.jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Quite the assortment of trinkets...nice work, glad you are having fun. Truthfully I scrolled down reading very slow so as not to see the image until finished and then expected something a bit more dramatic...soft light with a soft feel, nice.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:23 am
I saw some Jim-Pops light painting posts (google Harold Ross), and I was inspired and tried to give it a shot. Images were taken in a totally dark room and I used a home-made diffused flashlight on the subject. Each exposure was about six seconds. And then I brought them into photoshop and blended them the best I could using masks and the Lighten mode. Was lots of fun and I now have a new way to photograph my miniatures - though for small stuff, you don't have much control. treasure.jpg
This experiment turned out well. I need to try more of this, a good rainy day project. And I've had a plenty rainy days this winter.

Like the way you brought out warmth. How did you diffuse the flashlight?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:33 pm
Quite the assortment of trinkets...nice work, glad you are having fun. Truthfully I scrolled down reading very slow so as not to see the image until finished and then expected something a bit more dramatic...soft light with a soft feel, nice.
thanks Frank - yeah the image isn't that much, but lots of potential here for photographing still life images (which in a way my minis are). Using this technique gives me good control over keeping the highlights in the metal from getting blown out. You build the image up slowly holding and moving the light in different places (in different shots of course), and then blend the stuff back together. You and I could get lessons from the master for a mere 1700.00 - or just experiment and advance on our own. LOL

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:50 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
I saw some Jim-Pops light painting posts (google Harold Ross), and I was inspired and tried to give it a shot. Images were taken in a totally dark room and I used a home-made diffused flashlight on the subject. Each exposure was about six seconds. And then I brought them into photoshop and blended them the best I could using masks and the Lighten mode. Was lots of fun and I now have a new way to photograph my miniatures - though for small stuff, you don't have much control. treasure.jpg
This experiment turned out well. I need to try more of this, a good rainy day project. And I've had a plenty rainy days this winter.

Thanks Min -
Small pen flashlight - took piece of PVC pipe, put a diffuser on the end of it. Wrapped it with Duct tape and left a window in it. Wrapped the base of the flashlight with paper towels to hold it in place and pushed the flashlight and paper towels into the PVC pipe. Don't know how well it worked (Harold Ross will sell you a contraption for 65 bucks) - but my solution was cheap and rapidly made..
flashlight.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 pm
minniev wrote:
PietFrancke wrote:

Thanks Min -
Small pen flashlight - took piece of PVC pipe, put a diffuser on the end of it. Wrapped it with Duct tape and left a window in it. Wrapped the base of the flashlight with paper towels to hold it in place and pushed the flashlight and paper towels into the PVC pipe. Don't know how well it worked (Harold Ross will sell you a contraption for 65 bucks) - but my solution was cheap and rapidly made..flashlight.jpg
So is a diffuser something you bought or something you found/made? I'm all about cheap and rapidly made...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:48 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:14 pm
minniev wrote:

Thanks Min -
Small pen flashlight - took piece of PVC pipe, put a diffuser on the end of it. Wrapped it with Duct tape and left a window in it. Wrapped the base of the flashlight with paper towels to hold it in place and pushed the flashlight and paper towels into the PVC pipe. Don't know how well it worked (Harold Ross will sell you a contraption for 65 bucks) - but my solution was cheap and rapidly made..flashlight.jpg
So is a diffuser something you bought or something you found/made? I'm all about cheap and rapidly made...
I am thinking that we might be better off just with a black paper funnel at the end of the flashlight and not worry about diffusion - make the funnel so that it is larger on the flashlight end and smaller on the outgoing end. I think SINCE WE ARE MOVING the light anyway, we need an easier to control directed BEAM. I just used a small diffuser that I had from macro work...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:52 pm
You and I could get lessons from the master for a mere 1700.00
I'll just grab a beer and watch your course progress.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:08 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:52 pm
You and I could get lessons from the master for a mere 1700.00
I'll just grab a beer and watch your course progress.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

PietFrancke wrote:

Love the still life process you have here Piet. Do you use a macro lens for your miniatures?