"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Things ShowcaseRusty Sculpture at Homestead National Monument, Beatrice, Nebraska

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Rusty Sculpture at Homestead National Monument, Beatrice, Nebraska

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm

I wondered if this should rather be in abstract since it is. Someone cobbled this together out of farm implements. I love stuff like this.

Farm Implements Sculpture
by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Establishing shot; shovels and augers and scythes oh my...
Farm Implements Sculpture
Inevitable closeup; at least 3 different kinds of bobwire visible...
Barbed Wire ---Farm Implements Sculpture
Even more inevitable tight shot. There were at least 300 slightly different patents for barbed wire in the late 19th - early 20th centuries. The above is just one such. I was pretty happy with this shot overall. I'm loving how I can better control DOF and bokeh with it. This was made at ƒ/8.0, 50.0 mm, 1/80 sec ISO 250 (Sony A6000, kit 16-50 mm, handheld)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

Handheld azt 1/80 sec? One cool dude. I wobble at 1/125. I have a few farm-equipment photos and will search and post for your delectation, Chuck, if I can find them. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Thu May 17, 2018 12:35 am

Nice series of whole scene in context, then closer then closest. I love photographing rusty stuff.

I recently watched a video where the photographer made textures and frames from photos of that same kind of wire.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Handheld azt 1/80 sec? One cool dude. I wobble at 1/125. I have a few farm-equipment photos and will search and post for your delectation, Chuck, if I can find them. Matt
Chuck, As promised. Left to rust by the side of the road. I presume the spring held the seat. Matt

_DSC6977-Edit.jpg
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu May 17, 2018 3:05 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Thanks Matt. I have a couple of tricks I use. I mash the camera into my face with my elbows into my ribs, at least in a case like this where I was standing fully erect. I keep my thumb on the baseplate of the camera so it is opposing my trigger finger; that hopefully minimizes jerking the shot. Shooting vertically I often hold the camera with the shutter button down so I can trip with my thumb while opposing with the rest of my hand. I can't always do that but being able to squeeze and to dig my elbows into my ribs helps. I take a pretty deep breath, let out about half of it (old shooter's trick learned in the army) and trip the shutter. Often I will have the burst mode in its lowest speed and make two, the second for insurance. I would not have done that in film but I find sometimes the insurance shot is the sharper one. I also rely a lot on the vibration reduction except when on a tripod. :|
minniev wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:35 am
Nice series of whole scene in context, then closer then closest. I love photographing rusty stuff.

I recently watched a video where the photographer made textures and frames from photos of that same kind of wire.
Thanks Min. I always have mixed feeling about bobwire. I suspect it's because of its many less benign uses. (N)
Matt Quinn wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:36 am

Chuck, As promised. Left to rust by the side of the road. I presume the spring held the seat. Matt
Boy that's a sadly rusted wreck. Left to it, though, eventually it will just be a smear of iron oxide in the soil. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Chuck, do you or Matt wanta start a Share thread for Rusted stuff? I think it would be fun.. No critique, as such, just interaction and sharing. I think it would go under Open Challenges.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 am

minniev wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 3:59 pm
Chuck, do you or Matt wanta start a Share thread for Rusted stuff? I think it would be fun.. No critique, as such, just interaction and sharing. I think it would go under Open Challenges.
Interesting suggestion, Minnie. Chuck, do you have many? I'll have to check or go out with the camera, but, in my sun-sensitive condition, I doubt I will find much at night. I will scan my archives but don't have "rusted stuff' as a keyword. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:59 pm
I wondered if this should rather be in abstract since it is. Someone cobbled this together out of farm implements. I love stuff like this.
What an amazing imagination. These are wonderful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:53 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:38 am
What an amazing imagination. These are wonderful! S-
Thank you, Steve. :thanks: